Helix Electric was founded in 1985 and is now one of the nation's largest and most successful electrical contracting companies. Our commitment to empowering people and powering projects is realized by our exceptional team of dedicated and highly skilled experts working together and never settling for good enough. We are proud of the team-oriented and employee-empowered business approach that defines our unique character.
Our Project Engineer assists their Project Manager on projects and is the liaison between the field and the office. In this role, the PE is responsible for defining the project's objectives by planning, executing and finalizing projects according to the schedule while keeping within the budget.
OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
As an intern at Helix Electric you will be trusted with meaningful responsibilities that have a lasting impact on the projects you touch. This hands-on approach to learning coupled with our top-notch mentor program affords all Helix interns the opportunity to develop skills that ensure their continued growth well beyond graduation. Our University Relations Team is dedicated to ensuring all interns have an experience where they learn, grow, and contribute value. To provide a well-rounded experience, all interns are exposed to a variety of project types, phases of construction, and project teams. Join Team Helix to empower people and power projects.
HOW YOU'LL CONTRIBUTE:
- Develop relationships with project managers, subcontractors, engineers, and vendors to ensure a team approach and lay a foundation for building a career in the construction industry.
- Collaborate with superintendent to track material; maintains positive relationships with vendors for tracking, coordination, and close-out purposes.
- Act as a champion of the Helix safety culture. Monitors and encourages jobsite safety and accident prevention.
- Engage in the Change Order process and is introduced to Accubid to assist with estimating.
- Partner with the project team to analyze subcontract agreements to better understand scope of work and project pricing.
- Involved with material and equipment procurement.
- Collaborate closely with the BIM department and is directly involved in the coordination and planning process.
- Produce and maintain detailed job logs (transmittals, submittals, RFIs).
- Exposure to and monitoring of quality control.
- Manage labor schedules by working closely with superintendents and project managers.
- Create and order prefabricated assemblies to assist in planning and on time delivery.
- Walk jobs, learn the trade inside and out, and utilize knowledge to enhance overall company performance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Enrolled in a bachelor's degree program such as Construction Management, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering, or a related field.
- Previous construction or internship experience preferred.
- Highly motivated with a tendency to take initiative.
- Basic math skills with ability to calculate and analyze data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- The ability to work well with all levels of the organization.
- A mindset for making continuous improvements of department processes.
The starting hourly base pay for this role is $21 USD.