If you are an undergraduate pursuing a bachelor's degree in civil engineering with a strong interest in transportation, and more specifically within the railroad and/or mass transit sector, then we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team this summer in Seattle, Washington!
As a member of our Rail team, you will work alongside civil engineers and technicians and become engaged in a variety of active projects for site planning, roadway, utility, parking lot, grading and drainage, stormwater management, and track design projects. Our goal will be to expose you to the various stages of a project life cycle from conception through construction so you have a better understanding of the work we do, how we do it, and more importantly, what it would be like to be an engineering consultant.
Throughout your internship, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of preliminary and final designs using AutoCAD and Civil 3D and frequently perform calculations for project dimensions and elevations as well as earthwork, utilities, and track quantities. You will also assist with preliminary site assessments and surveys and construction administration responsibilities by working closely with other team members to provide information and feedback on the construction status of projects and any potential construction or design-related challenges that may arise.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2024 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from our office in Duluth or an assigned project site; however, there may be instances in which this position would be provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
- Undergraduate pursuing a bachelor's degree in civil engineering with a transportation emphasis.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Previous experience or training with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or Microstation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions, engage in discussions with team members, and assist with technical report and specification preparation.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret construction documents in accordance with construction activities and requirements.
- Ability to work outdoors on active construction sites while carrying up to 40 pounds and standing for extended periods of time to perform observation and inspection responsibilities.
- Possess a valid Driver's License with a clean driving record; Ability to travel as needed for construction administration and site inspections/visits, etc.
- General understanding of drafting techniques and construction plan development practices.
- Previous experience or coursework related to site design and/or linear design.
- Previous experience with construction administration tasks including staking, surveying, inspections, or observations.
Upon acceptance of a conditional offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete a standard pre-employment background screening, which consists of Social Security verification, educational verification, review of criminal convictions, and driving history.
*Notice to Recruiters and Placement Agencies*
TKDA will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or placement agencies unless a service agreement is in place. In the event TKDA receives an unsolicited resume without a service agreement in place, TKDA will not be obligated to pay a service fee of any amount nor will TKDA be held liable to terms or conditions under any agreement of any kind that has not been authorized in writing by a TKDA officer.
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability