Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team of engineering and design professionals has an exciting opportunity available for an undergraduate Civil Engineering student who has a strong interest in designing essential infrastructure projects for Class I and short-line railroads as well as transit and commuter rail agencies.
As a member of our Rail team, you will apply your academic knowledge while working alongside Architects, Engineers, and Engineering Technicians to contribute to the design of various mainline, yard, siding, and intermodal track projects located within Chicagoland and throughout the country.
While working on these projects, you will assist with construction administration responsibilities by conducting surveys, interpreting plans, observing construction operations, performing site inspections, and maintaining reports to ensure construction conforms to plans and specifications. On occasion, you may assist in developing preliminary and final designs using AutoCAD and Civil 3D, and performing design calculations for project dimensions and elevations.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2024 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from our office in Duluth or an assigned project site; however, there may be instances in which this position would be provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
- Undergraduate pursuing a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering; an emphasis in transportation and an interest in rail/track design is a plus.
- Previous experience or formal training with AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions and engage in discussions with team members and other internal contacts.
- Ability to work outdoors, walk and climb over rough terrain while carrying up to 50 pounds, and travel as needed for construction administration and site inspections/visits, etc.
- Ability to travel locally and occasionally overnight for project assignments, team meetings, site visits, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Previous coursework or project assignments related to rail / track design.
- Affiliation with an AREMA student chapter is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of drafting techniques, plan development, and related engineering practices.
- Previous experience developing construction plans and specifications.
- Previous experience with construction administration or surveying responsibilities, including operation of instruments, recording and interpreting data, and staking.
Upon acceptance of a conditional offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete a standard pre-employment background screening, which consists of Social Security verification, educational verification, review of criminal convictions, and driving history.
*Notice to Recruiters and Placement Agencies*
TKDA will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or placement agencies unless a service agreement is in place. In the event TKDA receives an unsolicited resume without a service agreement in place, TKDA will not be obligated to pay a service fee of any amount nor will TKDA be held liable to terms or conditions under any agreement of any kind that has not been authorized in writing by a TKDA officer.
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability