A leader in technology and innovation, Southwire Company, LLC is one of North America's largest wire and cable producers. Southwire and its subsidiaries manufacture building wire and cable, metal-clad cable, portable and electronic cord products, OEM wire products and engineered products. In addition, Southwire supplies assembled products, contractor equipment, hand tools and jobsite power and lighting solutions. We are proud to offer competitive compensation, employee benefits, tuition reimbursement and unlimited growth opportunities. Our more than seven decades of progressive growth can be attributed to our commitment to delivering quality and service to our customers, exercising environmental stewardship, enhancing the well-being of our employees and giving back to the communities in which we work and live. How will you power what's possible?
Shift: 8-5 M-F
Starting Pay Rate: $20.00
Co-Op are cycled, full time opportunities for engineering students who are currently enrolled in a four-year college/university.Co-ops will complete 3 rotations for a 1.5 year commitment. The co-op will need to still be enrolled in school during these semesters to be eligible.
- Fall 2023, Summer 2024, Spring 2025
- Spring 2024, Fall 2024, Summer 2025
- Summer 2024, Spring 2025, Fall 2025
The Mechanical Engineer Co-Op will learn and provide technical assistance (with mentorship) to plant maintenance, process, engineering, and operation groups in the diagnosis of mechanical malfunctions, determination of necessary repairs, and root cause elimination of malfunctions. Assist and / or design and install engineered mechanical solutions for a small project or support of a larger project(s). Promote safety in the workplace.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot and help resolve malfunctions to machine systems and make recommendations to improve safety, reliability and quality concerns.
- Gain experience and proficiency with various mechanical power transmission components including but not limited to gear drives, belt drives, chain drives, fluid power & bearings.
- Document specifications, changes and operating procedures of mechanical systems
- Participate in set-up and commissioning of new systems or upgrading of current systems.
- Trains effected employees on system processes, upgrade and installs
- Work with vendors and contractors to complete assigned projects.
- Coordinate with plant management groups to complete projects on schedule.
- Keep abreast of current trends and technology and utilize this information effectively.
- Increase knowledge of structural components including the design of support structures & foundations for equipment.
- Gain working knowledge of field devices (motors, gearboxes, air 7 hydraulic cylinders & valves, etc.)
- Assist with design, develop, and modify complex mechanical systems
- Competency in mechanical CAD software, preferably AutoCAD 2D & Inventor
- Support mechanical equipment specification and selection
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Possible involvement in reliability, preventive maintenance, and predictive maintenance activities
- Flexible work schedule to support maintenance department, additional duties as assigned
- Ability to work 40-hour work weeks during rotation
- Willingness and ability to commit to a minimum of 3 rotations
- Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior pursuing a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Minimum GPA 2.5
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Ability to read, modify and create mechanical drawings using AutoCAD software preferred
- Communicate effectively with Operators, Technicians, Management
- Possess a sense of urgency and ownership when working within time constraints.
- Strong computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Analytical skills
Benefits We Offer:
- 401k with Matching & Pension Plan (Eligible for Pension after 1,000 Hours Worked)
- Medical Insurance Package if Working 30 Hours per Week
- Flexible Work Schedule - up to 30 hours per Week
- Employee Assistance Program
- Advancement & Professional Growth opportunities
- & More
Southwire is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Southwire company is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability