Company Generac Power Systems
Name Senior Environmental Health Safety Specialist
Req # 62094
Employment Type Full Time
At Generac, Our People help make the world safer, brighter and more productive. United by our Values, people with diverse backgrounds and points of view work together to ensure our global customers have peace of mind.
We are a team of builders and doers who share a passion for innovation and a desire to outpace others. As an inclusive workplace, we empower our employees to embrace diversity in all forms, celebrate our differences, and treat everyone with equity and respect. At Generac, our success is powered by Our People.
The Senior Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist is responsible for the support of day-to-day environmental, health and safety functions at multiple sites. This position supports the facility EHS program to maintain a safe and healthy work environment, monitoring the facility and processes for adherence to OSHA, EPA, Wisconsin DNR, DOT, and other local regulations and guidelines. Additionally, this role is responsible for conducting environmental monitoring and reporting, providing assistance with environmental permit applications, and assisting with internal EHS audits. This position works closely with cross-functional teams throughout the facility and leads the pursuit of zero incidents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Regulatory Compliance Monitoring and Reporting
- Serve as the primary hazardous waste SME, leading efforts to reduce hazardous waste and implement recycling programs.
- Direct industrial hygiene sampling and support.
- Manage the facility SDS/Hazard Communication program.
- Manage and perform the planning, training, inspection, reporting and recordkeeping requirements for all environmental and safety compliance programs.
- Lead training efforts for EHS related activities within facility.
- Serve as an internal auditor for multi-site EHS activities;
- As an EHS SME, lead regional training efforts for EHS related activities;
Supporting Strategic Initiatives
- Provide engaging environmental, health, and safety leadership to the facility employees.
- Lead Employee Safety Committees.
- Develop and support strategic initiatives designed to produce best in class EHS performance.
- Act as the Corporate champion for the EHS Drive to Zero programs.
- Act as the champion for the EHS Drive to Zero programs;
- Conduct facility audits to be used to ensure that consistent, best-in-class results and compliance are followed to enable operational excellence. Prepare reports of findings with recommendations for corrective action.
- Conduct and document monthly facility inspections of hazardous waste accumulation/chemical storage areas.
- Perform Job Safety Analysis of all facility worksite activities and lead actions for controls and countermeasures.
- Work with cross-functional teams for new project and process development.
Hazard Prevention and Control
- Perform ergonomic and safety risk assessments virtually or hands-on for product and process capability.
- Lead the identification, assessment and resolution of ergonomic issues including physical part validation of acceptability to ergonomic standards.
- Observe workers to determine proper use of prescribed safety equipment and procedures. Train and demonstrate proper use of safety equipment.
- Investigate incidents (including injuries, property damage, near misses, releases, and losses) to determine root causes and prepares/directs corrective and preventive action plans.
- Serve as the investigator for safety and environmental incidents while serving as the liaison for regulatory agencies.
- Lead and coach incident investigations to determine root cause and preventative actions.
- Act as SME supporting facility EHS Specialists with hazard assessments.
- Lead emergency action plan programs.
- Minimize waste by driving initiatives surrounding reduction, recycling, and supply chain partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience;
- 5 years of experience implementing occupational safety and environmental programs;
- 3 years of experience working in a multi-site manufacturing or industrial environment;
- Degree in occupational safety, engineering or science related.
- Experience within a safety role in a manufacturing environment;
- Implementation experience with safety related programs (ISO, VPP, etc.).
- Previous experience using SAP or equivalent ERP.
- CHMM, CSP, CIH, PE or equivalent Certification
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated understanding of OSHA, EPA, WDNR, DOT and local regulations.
- Proven knowledge of safety equipment and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to influence management, teams, and individuals across multiple functions within the organization.
- Excellent working knowledge of ergonomic analysis tools.
- Proven track record of successfully managing shifting deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced understanding of OSHA, EPA, WDNR, DOT and local regulations.
- Financial and analytical skills to model and quantify impacts of projects.
- Ability to coach and mentor.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls; and talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to walk; stoop; crouch; bend and reach above shoulders. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted and up to 100 pounds with assistance, waist high, up to 10 feet away. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working in the typical conditions of a manufacturing environment including seasonal variation in temperatures and occasional exposure to manufacturing fumes or by-products. The employee must comply with the assigned location PPE requirements including but not limited to safety glasses, hearing protection, appropriate gloves, clothing and shields for required tasks and closed toed or safety shoes as required by facility safety policies. Travel up to 10% of the time.
Great Reasons to work for Generac:
- Competitive Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k and many more
- State-of-the-art facility with an onsite gym, walking trails, cafe, free parking and many employee activities
- Scheduled events throughout the year that allow our employees, both current and retirees, to gather together and enjoy their time with their families and co-workers
- Enjoy summer hours (Memorial Day - Labor Day)
- Pride! When a storm strikes, Generac employees always rise to the occasion. Each time a storm hits many employees volunteer their time with the customer support team or on the production line while others go right into storm-affected areas to repair generators
- We believe in having fun. From minor celebrations to major events, our employees balance their work by building a strong culture of teamwork and collaboration through a variety of occasions, including our Fun Days.
- Every day is Jeans Day! Dress for your day.
- Product loan and discount programs
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."