Looking for a place to start your career? A place where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough engineering problems? Geosyntec is the place for you!
As an Intern - Natural Resource/Wetland Scientist in our Richmond, VA office, you will have the opportunity to apply your scientific academic knowledge to real-world situations while also learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career. We are seeking a full-time (40 hours/week) intern for approximately 13 to 15 weeks during the summer of 2023. Preferred candidates would have the ability to return to the position for up to two additional semester rotations during their undergraduate or graduate studies. Candidates are responsible for coordinating their own transportation to and from the office.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting with identifying jurisdictional wetlands, classification and delineation of wetlands and streams, and determining mitigation requirements to support the environmental permitting of infrastructure projects such as development of renewable energy facilities;
- Assisting with preparation of Clean Water Act Sections 10, 404, and 401 permit applications, as well as Section 408 from the US Army Corps of Engineers and Coastal Use Permits from state regulatory agencies;
- Conducting biological and ecological resource studies including wildlife habitat assessments, listed threatened and endangered species assessments, native and invasive plant vegetation surveys, and wetland mitigation monitoring;
- Assisting with preparation of environmental documents for compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) including environmental resource reports, Environmental Assessments (EA) and Environmental Impact Statements (EIS);
- Data analysis, including preparing maps and figures using GIS/Environmental Visualization Software (EVS) applications, and database management.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Currently registered in a Bachelor's or Master's university degree program in environmental sciences, natural resources (e.g., forestry, fisheries, biology, ecology etc.), environmental engineering, or environmental management disciplines. (required)
- College-level coursework covering vegetation, soils, and hydrology such as the following: botany, dendrology, forestry, soil science, geology, land management, environmental planning, environmental law and policy, hydrology, hydrogeography, wildlife habitat ecology, ecology, ornithology, remote sensing technology, photogrammetry, and Geographic Information Systems. (preferred)
- Certifications or additional training or experience in wetland delineations. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with ArcView, AutoCAD, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, EPA SWMM, and/or Microsoft Office. (preferred)
- Outstanding academic credentials and exceptional interpersonal, technical writing, and analytical/problem-solving skills. (required)
- Ability to travel for overnight and/or multi-day field project assignments. (required)
- Valid U.S. driver's license, reliable transportation, and satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer including minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity.