Company Generac Power Systems
Name Mechanical Design Engineer - Clean Energy
Req # 62050
Employment Type Full Time
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, South Portland ME or Bedford MA with opportunity for hybrid flexibility
Generac Clean Energy combines the speed and excitement of a technology startup with the resources and market power of an S&P 500 industry leader. Our careers offer boundless opportunity for energetic, mission-driven applicants who seek challenge and impact in a fast-paced culture of teaching, learning, and professional growth, developing solar+storage products and software for the clean energy revolution.
Join Generac Clean Energy as we drive to build energy solutions for a more resilient, sustainable world.
What You Will Be Doing
As a part of the mechanical group, you will be part of developing next generation clean energy solutions, accelerating our progress towards a sustainable energy future. You will play a leading role in the design, validation, and production of Generac's clean energy products, with an emphasis on innovation, manufacturability, quality, reliability, and cost.
As a Mechanical Engineer your responsibilities will include:
- Developing mechanical components and assemblies for next gen BESS
- Designing, prototyping, testing & validating products into production / sustaining
- Collaborating with the design studio, hw engr, mfg engr, quality, operations
- Delivering solutions optimized for form, function, quality, cost, and experience
- Ensuring solutions are manufacturable, serviceable, and compliant
- Sharing knowledge and contributing to processes development
- Solving electro-mechanical integration challenges
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field with strong fundamentals
- Minimum 2 years of industry mechanical design experience (excluding internships)
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Knowledge of GD&T & tolerance analysis
- Familiarity with mass production, 6 sigma, inspection & measurement
- Experience designing solutions for battery energy storage systems
- Experience designing for automotive or NEMA/IP rated products
- Experience with validation testing, product reliability, and failure analysis
- Experience with UL 9540A regulatory requirements and testing
- Experience in rapid prototyping (3D printing, quick-turn mockups)
- Experience with structural FEA and ability to perform simulations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience developing at least one product from prototype into mass production
- Knowledge of common engineering materials and primary uses
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability, and design for assembly
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (Solidworks preferred, others accepted)
- Proficiency in 2D drafting
- Knowledge in at least 2 common mass production processes:
- Stamping / Sheet metal / welding
- Textures & cosmetic part finishes
- Tooling & fixturing
- Injection molding
- CNC machining
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend, or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. Up to 25% travel.
Compensation: Generac Clean Energy is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The annual salary for this role based out of the San Francisco Bay Area is $95,850 - $143,100. This compensation will ultimately be in line with the location in which the position is filled. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills, certifications, and geographic location. This role is eligible for variable compensation including short term and long-term incentives.
This position includes a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; life, long-term disability, flexible spending, and health savings accounts, accrued paid time off, Holidays, and 401(k) retirement benefits.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."