Company Generac Power Systems
Name Staff Hardware Engineer - Clean Energy
Req # 62038
Employment Type Full Time
Generac is seeking an experienced electrical hardware engineer to contribute to Generac's home standby battery systems. As a member of our team, you will shape the direction of next generation renewable energy products at Generac. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world's energy infrastructure and thrive working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Ideal candidates will be willing to work a hybrid schedule based out of Reno, Nevada or the San Franscisco Bay Area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform electrical designs with meticulous attention to detail and first principles engineering at breakneck speed
- Adhere to design processes and hold your team and cross-functional teams accountable to established design practices.
- Identify and create new design processes and lead the rollout to the wider organization
- Peers and managers look to you to solve hard problems that are directly related to the company's goals.
- Participate in meetings you attend and drive the conversation to be productive and actionable. People look to you to answer questions and solve problems.
- Build a rich environment of innovation, you help peers solve their problems in new and unique ways
- Drive collaboration with cross functional teams and advocate for a culture of inclusiveness and collaboration
- Hold a high bar for design review rigor and set the example for design reviews yourself by being prepared, sharing designs and context ahead of time, showing your work, following best practices, and taking diligent notes
- Lead design validation test definition and procedures. Identify test gaps and needs for your product and proactively avoid pitfalls for yourself and others
- Take responsibility for product design decisions at the circuit level. Own parts of the architecture and have a deep understanding of the full function of the product as a system
- Support cross-functional teams to launch the product: manufacturing, supply chain, marketing, and executives
- Determine product needs and shape the product specification at a PCB level.
- Collaborate with software, firmware, and mechanical design engineers throughout the product life cycle (from product inception to manufacturing) to debug and improve products.
- Directly impact product success and launch through hitting timelines/milestones, achieving comprehensive test coverage, and taking decisive action on your responsibilities
- Have knowledge of contract manufacturers, part vendors, and fabricators/assemblers capabilities and quality.
- Potentially manage a small focused team of junior engineers
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 6+ years of electrical engineering experience including large volume (1M+) consumer product hardware development and process driven engineering design cycles
- 2+ years of experience leading PCB design/implementation that include mixed signals, UL 1998 safety critical devices, power electronics, and computing platforms
- Demonstrated excellence in communication
- Proficient in Altium 365 schematic and layout design tools and processes including revision control, PLM management, and part library development
- Proficient in circuit modeling using SPICE tool of choice
- Proficient in PCB engineering such as DFM/DFT, fabrication and assembly technologies, strain/stress analysis, thermal management, connector/cable engineering, and EMI/EMC compliance
- Knowledge of UL/IEEE/NFPA/ANSI standards
- Fluent in engineering first principles in firmware/software and mechanical design.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift loads as large as 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include actions typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. This position will require occasional travel.
Generac is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this role based in San Francisco Bay Area is $137,000 - $207,000. This compensation will ultimately be in line with the location in which the position is filled. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location. This role is eligible for variable compensation including short term and long term incentives.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."