Company Generac Power Systems
Name Senior Interconnect Design Engineer - Clean Energy
Req # 62013
Employment Type Full Time
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, South Portland ME or Bedford MA with opportunity for hybrid flexibility
About Us: Generac Clean Energy combines the speed and excitement of a technology startup with the resources and market power of an S&P 500 industry leader. Our careers offer boundless opportunity for energetic, mission-driven applicants who seek challenge and impact in a fast-paced culture of teaching, learning, and professional growth, developing solar+storage products and software for the clean energy revolution.
Join Generac Clean Energy as we drive to build energy solutions for a more resilient, sustainable world.
What You Will Be Doing: As a part of the mechanical group, you will be part of developing next generation clean energy solutions, accelerating our progress towards a sustainable energy future. You will play a leading role in the design, validation, and production of Generac's clean energy products, with an emphasis on innovation, manufacturability, quality, reliability, and cost.
As a Senior Interconnect Design Engineer your responsibilities will include:
*Designing, prototyping, testing & validating products into production
*Developing cables, harnesses, busbars, fluid interconnects for next gen products
*Working closely with engineering on cable / connector definition & selection
*Collaborating with manufacturing, quality, operations on interconnect solutions
*Delivering solutions optimized for form, function, quality, cost
*Ensuring solutions are manufacturable, serviceable, and compliant
*Sharing knowledge across the team, and contributing to processes definition
*Solving EMI/EMC challenges through routing, grounding, and shielding
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Minimum five years of design experience; three in interconnect design
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Record of developing multiple quality products into production
- Experience designing solutions for battery energy storage systems
- Experience designing for automotive or NEMA/IP rated products
- Experience with UL 9540A regulatory requirements and testing
- Experience in rapid prototyping (3D printing, quick-turn mockups)
- Experience with structural FEA and ability to perform simulations
- Excellent written and oral communication with peers and leadership
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in cable / connector testing and qualification
- Experience with standards & regulations (USCAR, IEC, IPC)
- Experience with validation testing, product reliability, and failure analysis
- Proficiency in 3D CAD & routing tools (Solidworks preferred)
- Proficiency in 2D drafting, GD&T, and tolerance analysis
- Familiarity with mass production, 6 sigma, inspection & measurement
- Demonstrated expertise in: shielding / grounding / filtering technique, harness definition and pinout tables, creepage & clearance requirements, wire selection (type & gauge), busbar sizing & routing, injection molding, over molding, cable extrusions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift loads as large as 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include actions typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. This position will require up to 25% travel.
Compensation: Generac Clean Energy is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The annual salary for this role based in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA is $88,000 - $132,000. This compensation will ultimately be in line with the location in which the position is filled. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills, certifications, and geographic location. This role is eligible for variable compensation including short term and long-term incentives.
This position includes a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; life, long-term disability, flexible spending, and health savings accounts, accrued paid time off, Holidays, and 401(k) retirement benefits.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."