Are you inspired by "what's next"? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world's largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people's lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Senior Material Scientist
Albemarle Corporation has an exciting new position for a Senior Material Scientist to provide technical leadership for new product development programs within the Research and Technology (R&T) organization at the Albemarle Specialties Global Business Unit (GBU). The successful candidate will have a lead role in developing novel technology and commercialize new products to expand Albemarle's product portfolio into new application areas. The position reports directly to the New Product Development (NPD) Program Manager and will be based at our R&T center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Set technical direction for research and development projects for the design, development, and commercialization of new functional inorganic materials.
- Develop new technologies that provide the basis for product development and commercialization of new products in new promising and rapidly growing application areas.
- Conduct fundamental research to understand efficacy of porous media as well as surface interactions and structure property relationships of novel technologies.
- Generate concepts, identify, and execute fundamental understanding of chemistry, mechanisms and routes for the synthesis of novel target materials to meet critical to success criteria.
- Contribute new ideas and collaborate with a strong cross-functional team that comprises new product development, analytical research, application testing, process research as well as commercial team members to enable launch of transformational new products.
- Recognize potential for intellectual property, capture intellectual property effectively through internal reports, patent applications, in collaboration with other scientists and patent attorneys.
- Collaborate in a cross-functional environment to ensure timely delivery on technical milestones and enable launch of transformational new products.
- Responsible for conducting research in a safe manner by working with safety leadership, following safe laboratory practices in compliance with Industry best practices and policies.
- Enhance Albemarle's professional image and competitive advantage through conference presentations, customer interactions as well as other external collaborations with universities and value chain partners.
- Strong knowledge base and track record of conducting surface chemical reactions, probing surfaces to understand their physicochemical characteristics as well as expertise in the design, synthesis, and modification of the surface of materials.
- Industry knowledge, expertise and extensive hands-on experience in formulation and particulate compounding with organic/inorganic substrates.
- New product development experience from project inception to technical innovation, and successful product launch.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, data analysis and technical report writing.
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership in laboratory safety practices and protocols.
- Minimum of 10 years of industrial experience.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or related field.
- Working knowledge with analytical techniques and instruments, including gas physisorption, porosimetry, SEM, TEM, elemental analysis (XRF, ICP-MS), thermogravimetry, FT IR, Raman, X-ray crystallography, X-ray absorption spectroscopy.
- Experience working in environmental science and engineering areas. More than 15 years of experience will be a plus for this role.
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled