Company Generac Power Systems
Name Senior Compliance Engineer - Clean Energy
Req # 61772
Employment Type Full Time
Join Generac Clean Energy in developing energy solutions for a more resilient, sustainable world.
Generac Clean Energy combines the speed and excitement of a technology startup with the resources and market power of an S&P 500 industry leader. Our careers offer boundless opportunity for energetic, mission-driven applicants who seek challenge and impact in a fast-paced culture of teaching, learning, and professional growth, developing solar+storage products and software for the clean energy revolution. Clean has facilities in ME, MA, WI, OR, CA, and Vancouver, and flexible remote opportunities wherever possible.
Job Summary: Generac Clean Energy seeks a Sr. Compliance Engineer to support product compliance and certification activities for industry-leading power converter products and solar energy storage and management solutions. The Sr. Compliance Engineer is responsible for providing engineering input to the product development projects assigned to them, including interfacing with the cross functional team consisting of engineering, operations, sourcing, quality, service, and marketing.
This opening is in our South Portland, ME location, ranked Top 10 in Places to Live by U.S. News. Join a friendly community surrounded by rocky coast, sandy beaches, and rugged mountains, with outdoor fun (boating, skiing, hiking) and attractive small-city life (booming restaurant/craft beer scene, historic neighborhoods, thriving arts and culture).
There may be the possibility to work from our Bedford, MA or Waukesha, WI offices. Depending on location and lab facilities, frequent travel to South Portland, ME may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies compliance related market entry/market continuity related requirements for new/existing products.
- Supports, and at times leads product certification projects from project definition through to authorization to mark including drafting submission documentation, performing pre-compliance and NRTL witnessed tests, compiling test reports, and reviewing listing drafts.
- Works alongside design and validation teams to deploy best practices in design and test for compliance.
- Drafts product standard interpretation and justification opinions for both internal and external consumption.
- Tracks and reports on Clean Energy product compliance portfolio on an ongoing basis, identifying and resolving compliance gaps.
- Specifies precise new product compliance requirements and supports the evaluation of the design's overall effectiveness, cost (including cost/benefit analysis), reliability (risk analysis), and safety.
- Designs, develops, executes and evaluates test plans, product specifications and process validation plans for a variety of moderately complex products and/or components with respect to product compliance; creates and reviews material part specifications and bills of materials with respect to system level compliance.
- Collaborates with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers and product specialists to optimize moderately complex designs for compliance and manufacturability.
- Performs and supports analyses to verify the design such as circuit simulation, DFMEA, efficiency, design margin, MTBF reliability.
- Participates in, and at times, leads Design Reviews.
- Utilizes CAD (Computer Aided Design) or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems to produce detailed engineering drawings as needed.
- Supports product development plans (schedule, certification cost, meeting design inputs)
- Acts as a resource to mentor and teach less experienced engineers.
- Travels to other Generac facilities as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or related discipline
- 5 years of related work experience
- Experience leading NRTL certification testing (e.g. UL, Intertek, TUV, etc.)
- Grid interconnect requirements experience
- Project management experience
- Software experience, especially embedded C
- Experience with power electronics/power converter
- Experience with solar, energy storage, or other clean energy technologies
- Experience with Arena PLM and/or Windchill PLM
- Hands on experience working with engineering lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, spectrum analyzers, etc.
- Experience managing engineering changes
- Experience evaluating corrective and preventative actions to address quality and/or compliance issues
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Able to read and interpret schematics and BOMs
- Deep familiarity and experience with high-volume manufacturing of electronics products, including mixed surface mount/through-hole PCBs and electromechanical assembly
- Deep familiarity with product compliance activities and certification processes.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. Occasional travel, including internationally.