Are you inspired by "what's next"? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world's largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people's lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Albemarle Corporation is seeking an experienced instrumentation and control systems (I&C) design lead engineer to work as part of our Global Project Services group to provide engineering services at our global sites. The candidate will provide I&C design expertise on new and existing installations relevant to regional and local codes along with corporate requirements.
This position will work with internal and external resources on project design teams to take a project from early concept to final installation. Designs will ensure that the final I&C installation will be safe, reliable, operable, economical, and environmentally sound. This position will work independently and will be expected to manage multiple projects of various sizes.
The primary location of this position is at the Houston, TX (Clear Lake) or Charlotte, NC. Other locations that may be considered, depending on the candidate's residence, are Santiago, Shanghai, or Perth. Expected travel can be up to 50% and will be primarily short duration trips to gather information needed for design, review third party engineering, manufacturer visits or to inspect construction.
Bilingual English/Spanish is desirable.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work and effectively communicate with a project manager and team of engineers of differing disciplines to execute assigned projects.
- Verify the accuracy of plant documentation and modify documentation as needed during conceptual design development.
- Develop and document the design basis, material equipment lists, drawing modifications, and estimated cost for installation of the I&C portion of the conceptual and front-end engineering designs for capital projects that will be used to obtain funding and project approval.
- Set strategy and determine resources required to define and engineer the I&C systems and components necessary to meet project requirements and specifications.
- Ensure the accuracy of design information whether done by Albemarle personnel or by outside contractors prior to being issued for construction.
- Provide oversight of construction efforts as it pertains to I&C design and assist with any troubleshooting or problems solving required to meet installation deadlines.
- Verify drawings and design details of existing facility are up to date and all field modifications made during construction are accurately documented and released back to the customer in a timely manner.
- Travel to project sites as needed to support project scope development, construction, testing, and start up. Short to extended stays may be needed depending upon complexity of the installation.
- Ensure that all labeling and PSSR requirements are complete and accurate prior to the final project turnover.
- Communicate directly with outside vendors to specify, obtain quotes, and follow up on purchases of I&C equipment and services.
- Occasionally provide technical support for troubleshooting, problem solving, and failure analysis related to I&C installation failures at Albemarle Corporation facilities.
- Interface frequently with SAP to enter purchase requisitions, weekly time sheets, and input project information.
- Maintain constant vigilance for personal and surrounding worker safety, communicate unsafe conditions immediately, and provide direction as needed to ensure construction and design are performed in a safe and injury free manner during performance of daily tasks.
- Review and revise engineering specifications and standards as required by supervision or as needed to ensure compliance with industry and regulatory requirements.
- Develop project tools and engineering guidelines as required that will be used to standardize engineering design parameters and processes.
- Organize and / or perform presentations on industry best practices and safety topics on a regular basis.
Education and Essential Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (TX, NV, NC, AR, TN) is a plus.
- Functional Safety Engineer TUV Certification is a plus.
- 15+ years of I&C engineering in chemical or petrochemical processing plants.
- Significant demonstrated experience performing I&C system design on projects with TIC budgets more than $50,000,000 US.
- Significant experience with instrumentation (including P&ID development, calculations, specification, procurement, wiring design for construction packages, commissioning, startup, and maintenance) in industrial chemical or petrochemical processing facilities.
- Significant experience with distributed control systems and programmable logic controllers (including specification, procurement, design, commissioning, startup, and maintenance) in industrial chemical or petrochemical processing facilities.
- Significant experience in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), along with HAZOPs, LOPAs and SIL Calculations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical classification requirements.
- Significant demonstrated experience of instrumentation (valves, flow, level, temperature, pressure, safety) and control system equipment used in the chemical processing industry.
- Significant experience in the utilization of instrumentation calculation and analysis tools for instrumentation sizing and selection.
- Significant demonstrated experience governing EPC firms executing design and construction.
- Significant demonstrated experience with I&C system design during all phases of the capital project life cycle - scope development, detailed design, construction, and commissioning.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable I&C code requirements, standards, and best practices for chemical process plant design (OSHA, NFPA, API, NEC, IEEE, IEC, and/or the applicable host country codes).
- Familiar with US installations, as well as, have a good working knowledge of the applicable documents and requirements for international installations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical system is a plus.
- Experience working as an instrument and control system maintenance or reliability engineer (experience working in operating facilities) in the Chemical Process Industry or similar industry, is a plus.
- Structured Root Cause Failure Analysis training and/or significant experience, is a plus.
- Ability to perform design in AutoCAD is a plus.
- Detail oriented and possess excellent follow up skills.
- Excellent Computer skills - Microsoft SharePoint, Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), SAP and PIMS.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and effectively manages time and expenses.
- Excellent team member skills with ability to work with all levels of plant personnel in fast paced environments.
- Proven ability to manage multiple activities with varied scope, schedule, priorities, and locations.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Experienced mentoring junior-level I&C engineers is a plus.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled