Role and Responsibilities
Who We Are:
- CAE Vision: Our vision is to be the worldwide partner of choice in defense and security, civil aviation, and healthcare by revolutionizing our customers' training and critical operations with digitally immersive solutions to elevate safety, efficiency and readiness.
- CAE Defense & Security Mission: CAE's Defense and Security business unit focuses on helping prepare military customers to develop and maintain the highest levels of mission readiness.
- CAE Values: Empowerment, Innovation, Excellence, Integrity and OneCAE make us who we are and we strive to make a difference in the world while helping each other succeed.
What We Have to Offer:
- Comprehensive and competitive benefits package and flexibility that promotes work-life balance
- A work environment where all employees are valued, respected and safe
- Freedom to succeed by enabling team members to deliver, take initiatives and make decisions
- Recognition, professional development, advancement and having fun!
The Software Developer I designs and develops interactive applications and learning materials at Interactive Multimedia Instruction (IMI) levels 3 and 4 in support of the United States Department of Defense (US DoD) and international defense and security customers. The Developer is responsible to the User Experience Group Lead in general and to Project Leads for specific customer and internal programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create IMI level-3 and level-4 courseware and interactive applications for US DoD and international defense and security customers.
- Design and develop web-based realtime and procedural simulations and emulations.
- Assist in designing and developing systems, frameworks, and templates for expediting the development of extended-reality (XR), desktop, mobile, and browser applications.
- Test code for accuracy and error tolerance.
- Perform internal quality checks on peers' work.
- Participate in the research and development of applications for multiple platforms at IMI levels 3 and 4.
- Build applications to be used internally as tools for other departments and personnel.
- Comply with applicable quality standards, including ISO9001 and AS9100D/9115A, in all work.
- Evaluate new technologies for integration into training solutions.
- Develop level-of-effort/rough-order-of-magnitude estimates in support of proposals and new business opportunities pertaining to interactive courseware design and implementation.
- Develop and implement user interfaces for 2D, 3D, and XR applications.
- Write and edit departmental policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Perform other departmental and cross-functional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Due to U.S. Government contract requirements, only U.S. citizens are eligible for this role.
- Experience developing web- and/or browser-based applications.
- Experience developing interactive applications.
- Understanding of distributed applications in a client-server architecture.
- Ability to follow application control flows.
- Ability to expand design and development skillsets and to learn new programming languages as needed.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills, including listening ability.
- Ability to work well in cross-functional teams with diverse skillsets.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism.
- Strong problem-solving, troubleshooting, and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- General computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Office products.
- Experience with Git or similar source- and version-control software.
- Experience in game design and development.
- Experience developing educational software.
- Experience using Adobe applications, including Animate, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Understanding of learning-management systems (LMSs).
- Understanding of programming design patterns and their applications.
- Demonstrable algorithmic and systems thinking.
- Understanding of algorithmic complexity and its importance.
- Familiarity with methods and tools for data capture, including the Experience API (xAPI).
- Experience working in both agile and waterfall methodologies or in a hybrid of the two.
- Experience participating in code reviews.
- Experience using design diagrams, including Unified Modeling Language (UML), sequence diagrams, and flowcharts.
- Understanding of user experience and usability principles; experience with usability testing.
- Proficiency in PHP.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of using Git from the command line.
Must complywith all company security and data protection / usage policies and procedures. Personally responsible for proper marking and handling of all information and materials, in any form. Shall not divulge any information, or afford access, to other employees not having a need-to-know. Shall not divulge information outside company without management approval. All government and proprietary information will be accessed and stored electronically on company provided resources.
- Incumbent must be eligible for DoD Personal Security Clearance.
Due to U.S. Government contract requirements, only U.S. citizens are eligible for this role.
This job operates in a professional office environment with frequent remote collaboration. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers as well as audio headsets, web cameras, and screensharing software. Additionally, the role may occasionally require use of special devices and computer peripherals such as virtual and augmented reality headsets.
- Must be able to access actual aircraft or synthetic training devices on occasion.
- Must be able to travel on occasion to domestic and international sites (passport not required at time of hire).
- Must be flexible to work overtime as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to sit and operate a personal computer for long periods.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAE USA Inc. is an EOE/AA employer and gives consideration for employment to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here EEO is the Law poster.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
CAE thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those whose background and experience match the requirements of the role will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At CAE, everyone is welcome to contribute to our success. With no exception.
As captured in our overarching value "One CAE", we're proud to work as one passionate, boundaryless and inclusive team.
At CAE, all employees are welcome regardless of race, nationality, colour, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, neurodiversity or age.
The masculine form may be used in this job description solely for ease of reading, but refers to men, women and the gender diverse.