We have an exciting opportunity to lead the virtual Civil Engineering Portfolio group to ensure successful project delivery for design projects in the CALD1 Portfolio. The Portfolio Design Lead (PDL) manages group workload, hiring and project assignments, as well as providing mentoring and performance feedback for group employees. In addition, the PDL will function as the Civil Engineering technical lead for the Portfolio, providing technical guidance to employees and projects and making sure the right resources are available to support all projects and deliver exceptional service to our well-established clients. The PDL coordinates with the National Practice Lead and other PDLs to advance standards development and coordination workload leveling across the company.
- Supervise Civil portfolio employees; evaluating annual performance, manage performance, mentor, and train.
- Hold regular (monthly) virtual meetings with everyone in the Civil discipline:
- Discuss workload.
- Invite others in the municipal org that perform similar design functions on projects.
- Include an educational item. Either technical presentation or other development topic.
- Meet responsibilities of being a supervisor at BC.
- Manage performance of all staff in your discipline.
- Development of staff. Ensure staff have meaningful priorities in Clear Review (Performance management tool).
- Complete quarterly Viewpoints (Clear Review).
- Document monthly (minimum) check ins with staff.
- Be responsive to Project Managers (PMs) and Design Managers (DMs) in Local offices.
- Work with PMs and DMs on initial project staffing and staffing issues as required.
- Discuss options with the PM/DM regarding staffing, schedule, or scope adjustments.
- Reach out to fellow PDLs for assistance as required.
- Escalate issues to the Portfolio Design Manager (PDM) and Business Unit (BU) leadership for help as required.
- Build relationships with fellow civil PDLs in the other portfolios.
- Be responsive to other PDLs.
- Reach out to PDLs for creative ways to solve problems with resources, workload, technical issues, design workflow, quality, efficiency, etc.
- Look for opportunities to share staff across portfolios to encourage career growth of staff.
- Participate in National Practice Leader (NPL)/PDL meetings for the Civil discipline.
- Be conduit for two-way communication to/from NPL to the local Portfolio leadership team.
- Provide leadership for development of Civil standards (specifications, standard details, etc.) and work with NPL and other PDLs to coordinate resources for standards creation and production.
- Maintain workload tracking tool for the Civil discipline.
- Know what projects staff are assigned to.
- Know who has capacity or is overloaded and work to resolve.
- Identify when a new hire or contract resource is needed.
- Build relationships with subconsultants and on call resources for your discipline. Coordinate with NPLs and other PDLs.
- Track and strategize civil engineering specialties to support work in the portfolio.
- Provide Civil design services for water, wastewater, and industrial projects.
- Provide Design Management services for projects as required.
- Perform QA/QC reviews for projects and help ensure all project deliverables meet BC standards.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.S. degree required, M.S. degree preferred in related engineering field of Civil, Environmental, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing responsibility in related experience preferred.
- Professionally registered engineer required; or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Demonstrated strong group management and design/project management skills.
- Ability to focus on group and project needs while balancing multiple priorities to include but not limited to project management, design, bidding and construction management services.
- Strong technical writing skills required.
- Successful marketing, proposal writing, project budgeting, proposal management, and public presentations experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to conduct effective presentations and written report preparation.
- Successful candidate will have direct experience implementing and updating specifications and standards.
- Effective social and management skills necessary to genuinely motivate and direct staff to produce high quality work and to maintain high individual and group morale.
- Be enthusiastic, self-motivated, and work independently with a willingness to learn.
- Candidate should be a self-starter, results oriented and able to work under tight and pressured deadlines.
Salary Range:Theanticipatedstarting payrange for this position is based on the employee's primary work location and maybemore or lessdependingupon skills, experience,and education. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Location A: $100,000 - $137,000
Location B: $110,000 - $150,000
Location C: $120,000 - $164,000
You can view which BC location applies to you If you have any questions, please speak with your Recruiter.
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,800 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.