Due to the continued growth in our Rail and Transit practice, our Ontario team is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our growing Canadian Operations. This position will support our Engineering and Design Operations for multi-discipline projects in various industries including rail, stations and transportation facilities, water/wastewater treatment plants, energy, solid waste, food and agricultural, environmental and other industrial buildings. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will cooperate and work closely with other members of the multi-disciplinary team, regional team leads across Ontario, Canada, North America and GHD's global network.
This is a lifetime opportunity for individuals who are driven, hardworking and looking to be challenged in their career development to work on truly unique projects in Ontario. We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic employee-owned company, in a professional working environment that is of the highest quality and client-focused. Responsibilities:
Your Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Work closely with the Rail and Transit Business Lead, Project Directors and Design Manager with a primary focus on mechanical transit design
- Ability to lead mechanical design for transit facilities although not limited to Subway & LRT stations, transit maintenance facilities, parking structures, vehicular or rail tunnels, traffic management centers, transit centers or , railway yards, bus terminal & depots
- Development of mechanical design concepts with architects, engineers and owners; Design of HVAC, plumbing, fire protection and building automation systems, tunnel ventilation in building; Project Management on mechanical projects
- Provide strategic input and value-added solutions to respond to contractors in a design build environment.
- Participate in reviews with various governing agencies for code compliance
- Develop or verify the technical scope of projects
- Write and edit technical reports and specifications
- Coordinate all aspects of mechanical design including analysis and calculations and selecting mechanical equipment, systems, and devices
- Be responsible for design deliverables including stamping of drawings and sealing of specifications
- Ensure quality controls processes are being followed including conducting QA/QC reviews on the work of other mechanical engineers, coordinators and BIM/CAD Modelers
- Participate in construction contract administration activities, including inspections and system commissioning
- Partner with the Project Manager on maintaining project budget and schedule, identifying gaps, and providing solutions to achieving the scope
- Mentor and develop junior staff
- Represent GHD at Client meetings
- Participate in business development and writing of proposals
- Bachelor's (B.Sc.) degree in mechanical engineering from a recognized college or university
- Registered Professional Engineer of Ontario
- Minimum of 15 years' of extensive technical design experience
- Proven experience in mechanical design delivery for large multi discipline projects for complex rail, transit, and facilities
- Experience working in alternate delivery project environments (P3/Design Build)
- Detailed understanding of local Agency (or equivalent) Codes and Standards related to rail and transit is considered essential, in particular NFPA 130
- Thorough understand of Building Information Management and its application in producing 3D design for Rail and Transit projects
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite along with AutoCAD and REVIT
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to deal with uncertainty, change and multiple priorities
- Team building and mentoring skills
- Must hold a valid driver's license in Ontario and be willing to travel within Ontario and Canada as required
- As a diverse and inclusive organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
As a diverse and inclusive organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.