This position works remotely requiring a telecommuting agreement and adherence to the UCSC Telecommuting/Remote Work Guidelines. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor). While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working at the regular UCSC worksite.
This position works Tuesday to Saturday. The shift can be morning or afternoon hours. The position is fast-paced during the start and end of a term with high call volume and email inquiries.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 10-24-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Scout from University of California is an online education program available for individual students and teachers, whole classrooms within a school or school district, or with instructional support given by credentialed Scout teachers. Scout offers "a-g" approved college preparatory and College Board approved Advanced Placement courses and services for middle schools and high schools across the state of California and around the world. Our mission is to prepare first generation, socioeconomically disadvantaged, and English Language Learners for postsecondary education, raise student performance, and close achievement gaps.
More information can be found here: https://www.ucscout.org/
Under the supervision of the Director, and working closely with the UC Scout team, the incumbent assumes a full range of administrative duties. Performance of these tasks requires full knowledge of the professional goals of Scout programs, subject matter, and audience characteristics.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $24.64 - $29.60 / Hourly. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Tuesday - Saturday
- Shift Includes: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Remote
Union Representation: CX
Job Code Classification: 004722 (BLANK AST 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% - Course set-up and student and teacher support
- Adds prebuilt classes to Scout's Student Information System (SIS). This requires programming classes in the SiS which includes creating the course code / name, adding a course description, associating it with a term (semester), adding start and end dates and final enrollment dates, adding a grade scale and credits.
- Processes course information, website content, and identifies, updates, and maintains promotional materials. Website maintenance includes proofreading and adding / deleting content, and updating UC Scout's policies to website. Provides updates on current academic standards.
- Manually inputs course drops. Requires processing student enrollments and drops, transcript requests, extension requests, refund requests, and general technical support (issues with online classroom).
- Communicates with instructors regarding enrollments, course materials, and updates or changes to courses. Responsible for forwarding and communicating relevant information to teachers, Teacher Supervisors, and Director, such as IEP and 504 plans, student medical needs / disabilities, and severe chronic illness (i.e. cancer; death in family/emergency). Documents this information via email and confidential record keeping management.
- Tracks administrative fees with a tracking sheet.
- Generates contracts for BYA teachers and distributes to the Teacher Supervisors to review for accuracy. Gathers enrollment and payment information using software reporting features.
- Processes course evaluations / surveys. Sets up and distributes end of the semester course evaluations via the LMS / Canvas using Evaluation Kit software.
- Answers telephone and email inquiries, and if escalation is needed, directs to appropriate staff, including teachers, Teacher Supervisors, and / or Director. Resolves majority of call and email and inquiries on own. Provides program and course information to teachers, students, parents, counselors, principals, and other administrators. Provides general technical support for students and teachers.
- Submits proper documentation to accrediting bodies to meet California academic standards and main campus standards. This includes WASC every five years, NCAA annually, College Board annually, UCOP (A-G) annually, SAPEP annually.
- Responsible for proactively collecting information and submitting information before deadlines.
- If IT system goes down, shares malfunction details with IT team and outside vendor. Communicates closely with Jenzebar and communicates where issues might exist with Jenzebar representatives.
40% - Coordination of Logistics, Marketing and Special Needs
- Develops an overall working knowledge of Scout programs. Updates and creates Confluence (wiki-like-software) to capture procedures and best practices.
- Organizes special events, meetings, and projects. Handles the Coordination of administrative arrangements for special programs and courses, conferences, logistics, marketing and meetings, and symposia, as requested.
- Attends and provides administrative support for public events, conferences, and on-site school visits; delivers and displays promotional materials, brochures, catalogs, and event supplies at public events.
- Prepares equipment, technical support, work order requests, and ProCard / CruzBuy purchases.
- Send materials / swag to teachers as needed for events.
- Processes vendor PO's. Follows up on past due invoices, processes payments and checks in the Student Info System (SiS), maintains vendor policies, communicates with school vendors closely regarding student enrollments and drops and provides potential refunds for courses purchased.
- Prepares reimbursements, travel vouchers, and copyright forms.
- Performs various marketing tasks to publicize programs including telemarketing, distributing announcements, addressing / mailing brochures, and updating website. Provides website messaging when there are website errors or downtime. Front-facing communication.
20% - General Administration
- Provides general administrative support for all programs as necessary.
- Responsible for day-to-day logistical and administrative support of Scout projects and tasks, including answering program inquiries and questions via email, phone, or in-person meetings, or directing students to appropriate personnel for assistance.
- Troubleshoots student, instructor, and administrator problems, and manages requests for services, escalating to second-level complaint staff / supervisor as needed.
- Works with IT and classroom team and vendors to troubleshoot and identify errors between the SiS and LMS, resolving glitches that prohibit students and teachers from accessing their courses.
- Prepares routine correspondence with instructors and students. Uses templates when appropriate, otherwise individualized correspondence as needed.
- Responsible for accuracy, completeness, and end products of work, and check the work of other Blank Assistants.
- Processes transcript requests for students.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or equivalent combination of experience/training.
- Ability and willingness to provide excellent internal and external customer service.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and flexibility to work effectively with students, staff, instructors, and the general department.
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent listening and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain composure with difficult customers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team, in a high-volume, open-office environment, with frequent interruptions.
- High level of computer skills with demonstrated experience using student information systems (or other relational database system), Google Docs, and Google Sheets.
- Professional experience with educationally disadvantaged populations in an educational context.
- Experience in, or knowledge of, the field of K-12 Online Education.
- Demonstrated commitment to issues of Social Justice. Knowledge of current pedagogical and instructional methodology best practices.
- Fluency in a Language Other Than English (LOTE) that is commonly spoken in California
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work Tuesday - Saturday, and occasional evenings.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.