The Technical Sales Representative position relies heavily on a strong technical background and consultative selling skills to address customer needs and meet sales targets in the assigned territory. This requires strong communication and time management skills as well as technical knowledge of the relevant products and applications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consulting and information gathering
- Proposal generation and presentation
- Technical and proof-of-concept product demonstration
- Negotiating and managing expectations
- Maintenance of deal related data in the CRM system
- Recognizing market trends and gaining competitive intelligence within territory
- Strong focus on customer retention, profitability and growing the customer base
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor degree or higher in materials sciences or biological sciences from an accredited college or university.
- 2 to 4 years experience with customer facing sales preferably in scientific academia or Life Sciences.
- Working knowledge of high-end microscopy, including imaging techniques beyond simple image capture and manipulation.
- High-level knowledge of personal computers and strong presentation skills required.
- Positive "can do" attitude coupled with a willingness to continuously acquire product and application knowledge independently.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team sales environment. Prior experience in technical sales and managing a field coverage area for technical sales or product support a big plus.
Working Conditions and Special Demands:
- Willingness and ability to travel within assigned territory (some overnight travel possible).
- Occasional travel outside of territory may be required to attend meetings, trainings, or workshops.
- Lifting of heavy equipment may be required (weight ~ 50 lbs).
- Must have driving record in good standing, a valid U.S. driver license, and own a vehicle capable of transporting microscopes and other demo equipment to customer locations.