This position is a hybrid role with a combination of working both onsite at the Headquarters 2 building in East Lansing and remotely. A schedule of expected onsite and remote workdays will be discussed during the interview process.
In alignment with Michigan State University and Oakland University's vaccine requirements, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union requires the COVID-19 vaccine and booster for all employees working in this position, except those with an approved medical or religious accommodation, as a condition of employment.
Who we are:
Founded in 1937, MSU Federal Credit Union is owned and operated by members of the Michigan State University and Oakland University communities. We offer financial services to MSU and OU faculty, staff, students, alumni association members, and their families as well as a variety of select employee groups.
A day in the life of a Network Engineer:
The Network Engineer/Architect is responsible for planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining the LAN-WAN infrastructure and networking technologies for all MSUFCU facilities. This includes troubleshooting issues with other technology staff, supporting security standards, following and documenting processes and maintaining disaster recovery procedures. As a valued member of the IT department, this position requires excellent problem management and superior customer service skills. The Network Administrator installs supports and maintains servers, applications and appliances. This position also plays a vital role in planning, coordinating and consulting with vendors for hardware/software purchases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer a high availability network including switches, routers, wireless and UPSs.
- Working knowledge of firewalls in an enterprise network.
- Proactively suggest new techniques and technologies to improve network reliability.
- Work on IT projects throughout network hardware and system life cycle.
- Administer, maintain and provide resolution to problems that arise within a high availability data center.
- Exhibit excellent teamwork while assisting other IT teams in solving issues with other MSUFCU departments.
- Responsible for installation, configuration, and support of collaborative tools including telephones, conference room technologies and video conferencing equipment.
- Uphold cabling standards for all construction and renovation projects with vendors.
- Perform and schedule pro-active preventative maintenance procedures to keep the network running at peak performance.
- Participate in compliance with disaster recovery plans.
- Keeps manager advised of any system problems or events that prevents the ability to fulfill work requirements or compromised systems.
- Provide in-depth technical support for the data network systems.
- Creates and maintains network documentation.
- Energetically provide assistance and coordinate with other departments to successfully implement networking projects.
- Analyze and research special systems, problems and capabilities for management.
- Execute other network management duties as assigned or directed.
- Key involvement in the creation, enforcement and implementation of policies and procedures for user logons, server and internet access and other necessary functions as set forth by management.
- Participate in training activities within the department/branches/human resources, as well as training outside the department; such training helps to ensure staff compliance with Credit Union policies and state and federal regulations and laws.
- Develop centralized, efficient methods for managing network systems to minimize downtime and increase security on the network.
- Foster positive vendor relationships.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating and consulting with vendors for hardware/software purchases and ensure accurate billing.
- Advanced troubleshooting and resolution of network issues.
- Establish and promote network management principles, best practices, and standards and ensure their practical adoption.
- Develop and maintain network system monitoring and alerting solutions.
- Assist in the development, implementation and administration of multiple projects.
- Mentor and develop Network Administrators.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, estimate and deliver projects and work efforts on time.
- Works directly with management to promote technology solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- All of the Network Engineer duties and responsibilities.
- Leads projects related to critical systems and communicates projects to employees and staff.
- Assigns and manages tasks related to networking projects.
- Architects the network infrastructure for stability and growth.
- Responsible for the overall design of the enterprise wide network.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to network administration team.
- Develop capacity planning for future growth.
- Identify and evaluate industry trends in technology systems to serve as a source of information and advice for credit union management.
- Partner with IT management, IT Security and Senior Business Management to review business needs.
What you can bring to MSUFCU:
- Experience working with Audio Visual equipment.
- Experience with Low Voltage requirements.
- Knowledge of VMware virtualization.
- Exchange, Microsoft and Linux experience a plus.
- Participate in after-hours and weekend support rotation for emergency issues.
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks independently, while remaining flexible to changing requirements.
- Must have excellent organizational, documentation and communication skills.
- Ability to resolve connectivity and security issues.
- Approachable demeanor and ability to collaborate effectively with coworkers and vendors.
- Willing to learn new tools and technologies to be able to work effectively in a rapid growth environment.
- Able to learn and show growing knowledge of critical applications utilized by the credit union.
- Growing knowledge of credit union and financial industry products including rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand and interpret network diagrams/ layouts.
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility with assignments.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Certifications: Network+, CCENT preferred.
- 2-5 years' experience administering complex enterprise network environments.
- Experience working with Cisco IOS and NX-OS.
- Advanced experience administering collaboration solutions.
- Strong working knowledge of current infrastructure at organization.
- Strong working knowledge with Cisco LAN architectures including Ethernet, STP, VTP, VLANs, QOS etc.
- Strong working knowledge of wireless technologies including 802.11 standards.
- Ability to efficiently manage network expansion.
- Experience diagramming/ mapping network environments and data flow.
- Increased awareness of business issues and how these issues affect overall project delivery.
- Strong knowledge of critical applications and programs utilized by the credit union.
- Experience with information security policies.
- Experience producing, refining, and applying network standards and best practices for administrations, security and design.
- Project management experience and ability to identify scope.
- All of the Network Engineer knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- In-depth knowledge of current infrastructure at organization.
- Authoritative knowledge with Cisco LAN architectures including Ethernet, STP, VTP, VLANs, QOS etc.
- Strong technical knowledge of Cisco Datacenter architectures.
- Authoritative knowledge of wireless technologies including 802.11 a/b/g/n.
- Exceptional ability with diagramming/mapping tools for creating networking diagrams.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience troubleshooting issues using in depth diagnostic skills.
- Extensive project management experience.
- A passion for visualization and the ability to communicate results clearly to technical and non-technical associates and leadership.
- Ability to recognize business issues and how they affect overall project delivery.