The City of Takoma Park is seeking a SeniorAccounting Assistant to provide support to theFinance Department, inthe areas of accounts receivable, accounts payable,and payroll. It is currently set for a limited term position, through December 2026, but may be extended or later approved as a permanent position.
Typical Duties Include:
- Processingaccounts receivable and accounts payable as assigned;
- Processingbi-weekly payroll; reviewingpayroll entries for accuracy and completeness; executingthe direct deposit process; processingthe payment of federal and state taxes; preparingand submitting related payroll reports;
- Processingdata file and payments for ICMA and Maryland State Retirement;
- Assisting with processing of annual storm water management, rental license, and refuse billing; applying penalties and interest as applicable;
- Extracting billing data from online software and creating updated files;
- Maintaining cash drawers and petty cash for the Department;
- Reconciling assigned bank accounts;
- Processing checks returned for insufficient funds;
- Researching and resolving errors and inaccuracies;
- Providing customer service,answering questions, and resolving problems;
- Preparing delinquent lists for outstanding balances;
- Reviewing and researching customer accounts, updating new account information;
- Creating and processing invoices and preparing related reports;
- Running checks,compiling checks for review and signature;
- Preparing bank deposits;
- Processing payments made in person and by telephone;
- Processing real property tax file (both residential and commercial) to be sent to Montgomery County for billing process;
- Preparing daily, monthly and or annual year end closing journal entries;
- Collecting credit card logs and receipts from the credit cardholders;
- Preparing and sending out annual 1099 forms;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or another relevant field;
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years;
- Ability to be bonded.
Preferred candidates may possess the following:
- Previous experience in accounts receivable, accounts payable, or payroll;
- Excellent ability to clearly communicate and provide answers to complex issues;
- Knowledge of government accounting.
The hourly wage for this position is expected to be between $24.87 and $29.29, and will be offered at a level consistent with the experience and qualifications of the candidate.This position is subject to membership of the AFSCME union.
We offer a highly competitive benefits package, including 100% paid premiums of medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee only coverage, and 80% paid premiums for dependents.
The position will remain open until filled.
Please note thatfor all City staff, and will be confirmed with other pre-employment screenings once an offer has been extended.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George's County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active population of 17,000 residents, Takoma Park is known for its progressive policies, historic tree-lined neighborhoods, and independent businesses. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the residents we serve and the area in which we live. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment where employees of diverse backgrounds can thrive and make a positive impact in the services we provide.