Required Travel: 0 - 10%
Employment Type:Full Time/Salaried/Exempt
Hours Per Week:40
Security Clearance:Ability to Obtain
Level of Experience:Senior
HII-Mission Technologies in Syracuse NY is currently seeking self-motivated, talented Software Engineers to design, develop, and test command, control, and communications software for leading edge ISR, SDR, EW, and embedded DoD products. Candidates will be expected to integrate into our multi-disciplinary teams to provide best-in-class solutions and products to a diverse customer baseline with a demanding and intriguing technical problem space. From high-level, self-hosted User Interface software and networking down to low-level Operating System or bare-metal software/drivers running on System-on-a-Chip CPUs/FPGAs/GPUs and SBCs, HII offers an array of software development opportunities at all layers of the stack for rapid prototypes, new product design, and fielded hardware that protect and support the American warfighter and our nation's interests.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide leadership in all phases of software lifecycle, from requirements definition through design, development, integration, and test
- Experts in various object-oriented and functional programming languages (e.g. Embedded C/C++, C/C++, C#, Java)
- Proficient in common procedural/scripting languages and object definition files (Python, Bash, MATLAB, TypeScript, JSON, XML)
- Research and apply state-of-the-art programming techniques, software design best practices, and software technologies
- Analyze and modify software systems by reverse-engineering, architecting, coding, installing, testing, debugging, and documenting designs/APIs
- Research and stand up development environments and platform application environments from scratch
- Proficient in industry-standard software documentation methods such as user stories, UML, Scrum, KanBan, Agile Testing, Docs as Code, and supporting tools such as Doxygen, Bamboo/Jenkins, JIRA
- Lead teams in Agile design methodologies
- Guide customers and systems engineers in formulating software requirements, advise on alternative approaches, and conduct feasibility studies, as required
- Prepare and communicate daily status information in accordance with required software development lifecycles
- Independently derive requirements into actionable tasks
- Follow all company policies and guidelines, including familiarity with company-wide software practices
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions.
- Conduct multidisciplinary research and collaborate with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software.
- Determine computer user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepare operating instructions; design and develop compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems.
- Able to work under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives where assignments are often self-initiated.
- 9 years relevant experience with Bachelors in related field; 7 years relevant experience with Masters in related field; 4 years relevant experience with PhD or Juris Doctorate in related field; or High School Diploma or equivalent and 13 years relevant experience.
- Ten or more (10+) years combined experience in the following:
- Software development in C/C++
- Object-oriented design and analysis
- Authoring or coauthoring software documentation
- Mentoring junior and senior engineers
- Experience leading teams in Agile design methodologies
- Strong background in embedded Linux kernels, filesystems, and custom device drivers
- Must be able to work alongside a diverse, multi-cultural team and demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Currently hold a U.S. security clearance
- Experience in the DoD contractor space, especially maritime
- Experience with communications and networking libraries in embedded Linux (e.g. networking stacks, Protocol Buffers/Protobuf/data serialization)
- Passionate about protecting the American warfighter
- Experience with RF communication links and/or radio systems
- Experience with distributed networking and wireless links
This opportunity resides with Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, a business group within HII's Mission Technologies division. From towers to processors, we design, develop, integrate and manage the sensors, systems and other assets necessary to support integrated intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations, exploitation and analysis for the Intelligence Community, the military services, geographic and functional combatant commands and DoD agencies.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII's skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: .
HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.