Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 42 times over the past decade...
...What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson's Federal Contracting Group is looking to add a Group Accounting Manager to our Washington DC office. This individual will be responsible for providing accounting, analysis, and financial support to one or more of the company's revenue and profit generating operating groups; and serve as the key liaison and business partner to the operating group from the Finance and Accounting department.
What you will be doing:
- Support the Federal Contracting Operating Group in financial decisions by applying company policies and procedures
- Proactively monitor and report on project performance, financial projections, cash metrics and percentage of completion.
- Assist in the preparation of the Operating Group's annual business plan and operating budget.
- Prepare and review with group leadership the monthly Operating Group Financial Report, which highlights current financial performance versus budget.
- Oversee the federal accounting policies, procedures, and processes to ensure compliance with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), and other federal statutes and regulations.
- Compile and audit costs to ensure allowable labor and overhead rates are prepared in accordance with FAR Part 31 (Contract Cost Principles and Procedures).
- Review requests for proposals and provide guidance to operating groups on which government accounting regulations apply.
- Understand the scope, areas of work, and contractual requirements included in construction contracts being executed and pursued by the Operating Group.
- Prepare financial data for responses to requests for proposals.
- Work with the corporate tax team to research and understand the sales and use tax rules for jurisdictions where projects are located.
- Assist project teams in following contractual requirements including, but not limited to, certified payroll reporting, small business reporting, and other specialized Federal reporting.
- Manage a team of three to six project accountants who support the finance and accounting needs of multiple project teams managing multi-year construction projects ranging in size from $2M to $500M
- Advise project accountants and project teams on the best methods for project setup in financial applications to help monitor the project against its financial goals.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly project billings in accordance with contractual requirements and ensure all project costs are processed timely.
- Collaborate with corporate Finance groups to ensure GAAP compliance.
- Represent the best interests of the Company in working with project auditors; assist as requested with annual and special audit situations.
- Serve as subject matter expert and assist in the design and testing of new or enhanced financial systems.
- Other duties as assigned and requested by the operating group leadership, VP/Controller, CFO or Senior Leadership Team.
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels.
- Lead team members by example, offer effective coaching and feedback, and effectively manage performance.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum eight years prior accounting experience
- Federal Acquisition Regulations contracting experience
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and ERP accounting applications
- CPA, CMA, CCIFP or MBA preferred
- Construction industry exposure preferred, particularly knowledge of percentage of completion accounting and construction contract terms
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.