Remote - Chicago IL, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington D.C.
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Workflow Analyst on our Publishing and Mission Operations team. This position can be hybrid (working from both office and home), with a schedule to be determined by business needs.
As a Workflow Analyst you will execute daily pre- and post-acceptance editorial and production
operational tasks for the AMA Ed Hub and assist in activities associated with educational
content workflow management. Support existing processes (intake, markup, proof,
transform, and package/publish), tools, and standards. Coordinate with internal
staff and outside vendors/partners to meet deadlines while achieving the
highest professional quality standards and providing white-glove customer
service for content providers, partners, and learners.
- Gather, document, and communicate requirements across the content operations workflow.
- Identify and resolve system performance and workflow problems; monitor inter-system interface/data transfer issues; gather requirements for system development; identify efficiencies in system-supported processes; bug reporting and tracking, analysis, and reports.
Support the technology workflow for educational content, including:
- Data transmission and delivery
- Workflow analysis and troubleshooting
- Content intake
- Data transformation (metadata and full text conversion/tagging to
- Content proofing, revision requests, and QA across all delivery
- Packaging and publishing structured and related binary files for
delivery to AMA platforms, aggregators, and apps
- Maintenance of submission and production system Editorial Manager.
- Assist with coordinating projects assigned by Manager through the development of plans, timelines, tasks, and resource requirements, monitoring and controlling progress, executing required actions, and ensuring proper closure and follow-up.
- Create detailed schedules.
- Coordinate assignments/milestones and execute in accordance with approved plans and requirements.
- Ensure deliverables are on time and meet quality expectations.
- Identify and escalate issues and risks that need to be mitigated to ensure completion of the project and take corrective action as needed. Ability to work across departments.
Communication and documentation
- Provide first-line support for incoming workflow-related trouble calls and emails.
- Ensure that follow-up feedback is provided as issues are resolved or if additional information is required for issue resolution.
- Create and maintain system and workflow documentation, ensuring it is up to date and accurate.
- Assist with training of new users, including both internal and external stakeholders, and coordinate efficient closed-loop communication across the content production workflow.
- Ability to create user-friendly workflow documentation.
May include other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, graphic arts, journalism, or comparable experience with a strong emphasis on electronic publishing systems required.
- Experience required managing systems operations (Silverchair/CME360 a bonus), tools, and applications in a production environment, including database management, metadata, tagging, DTDs (JATS highly preferred), storage, cross-platform delivery, proofing systems, troubleshooting, packaging, and publishing.
- Working knowledge of and experience with electronic text editing software/applications and basic file server structure preferred; experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and multiple web browsers required.
- Experience creating user documentation highly preferred. Experience with Visio process diagrams or similar a plus.
- Experience required developing and managing projects for multiple and diverse projects. Ability to convey complex technical details in simple, business-specific terms required. Ability to train staff on technical issues.
- Demonstrated positive attitude and proactive drive to help resolve a wide range of issues. Position requires decisiveness and sound judgment.
- Ability to work independently, with a strong focus on problem solving and systemic issue identification leading to optimized process or workflow. High level of concentration, analytical abilities, high-quality standards, and attention to detail required.
- Initiative and ability to organize and prioritize assignments. Must have ability to manage stress in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- AMA's safety and policy protocols require proof of full vaccination against COVID19 for employment at AMA (including booster when eligible). Employees may apply for a religious or medical exemption from getting the vaccine.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION