*This position qualifies for our Nursing Support Incentive Program. The Nursing Support Incentive Program includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment. Learn more about the program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-nursing-support-incentive-program
UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus is a community hospital which is an extension of UNC Medical Center focusing on many of our elective surgical programs. The 163-bed facility combines a community hospital culture with the innovative procedures and care for which the UNC Medical Center is known. The Hillsborough Campus is located at 460 Waterstone Drive, Hillsborough, NC and offers State benefits and free parking for employees.
The Clinical Support Technician II assigned to the 15-bed Emergency Department at the Hillsborough Campus delivers direct and indirect care for patients presenting with minor illnesses/ injuries to critical/ trauma injuries. Critical/traumatic injuries may require stabilization and potential transport to the Main ED / Trauma Level 1 Medical Center in Chapel Hill. This diverse environment in a community hospital setting contributes to a challenging and rewarding clinical environment for all members of the multi-disciplinary healthcare team.
This Emergency Department has been accredited by the American College of Emergency Medicine as a Level 2 Geriatric Emergency Department and is the first in North Carolina to receive this designation. Geriatric Emergency Departments embrace a variety of best practices that address common geriatric issues.
This position is 36 hours/week, for dayt shift (7am-7:30pm).
The Clinical Support Technician II is responsible for assisting the professional caregiver in the delivery of patient care, transporting patient and / or equipment, setting up and maintaining patient rooms, and performing a wide range of clerical, transcription, and maintenance of the patient care unit desk area functions. Performs patient care requiring clinical and procedural knowledge and skills requiring the use of sterile techniques, infusion monitoring, and medical equipment. Coordinates the flow of communications on the patient care unit. The Clinical Support Technician II may or may not be given a defined patient care assignment based on unit needs and the discretion of the manager / charge nurse. Tracks supply inventory, orders supplies and special items. Assists unit with clerical and administrative support including PI audits and data entry.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
2. Critically review patient care documentation making note of any significant changes in the patient's condition and make an immediate report to a registered nurse or physician.
3. Provide a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to organizing and prioritizing workload, greeting and directing visitors, researching information as requested by nurses and physicians, reviewing orders for logic and clarity, revising orders as requested by the nurse, answering the telephone/ patient call lights, transcribing physician orders, and maintaining medical records. Perform routine quality assurance audits, safety checks, and inventory of supplies.
4. Provide administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry
5. Provide clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
6. Provide direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow-rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, sterile dressing change wound irrigation, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy irrigation and care, urinary catheterization and irrigation, performs established oral, nasogastric, gastrostomy tube feeding
7. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
* High School diploma or GED
* Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
* Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
* Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* One (1) year of clerical or customer service experience and six (6) months of related nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
* Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to develop computer skills if not competent.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Organization Unit: Emergency Dept HBO H
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.