Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state's largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country's fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
An Engineer in theLegacy Engineering ProgramatPalo Verde will complete a comprehensive orientation training program of approximately 12 months in duration. The Legacy Program is Palo Verde's pipeline hiring program for new engineers. Through this program, engineers will build their knowledge and skills through a combination of on-the-job training, rotations through Engineering and other site departments, technical classroom training, and briefings by subject matter experts on various topics. Legacy Program classes are hired as a cohort that will progress through the orientation training together. Upon the completion of this program, each engineer will be assigned to a work group within the Palo Verde organization.
A four year Bachelor of Science degree in Nuclear Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required.
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications: Knowledge and ability to apply basic discipline engineering principles, practices, and theories. Use commonly applied engineering approaches and calculations. Problem analysis/resolution techniques.
The primary recruiting method for Palo Verde is through attendance of college career fairs. We will be represented at the following schools: Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, New Mexico State University, University of New Mexico, Missouri University of Science and Technology, University of Illinois-Champaign, University of Wisconsin- Madison, Grand Canyon University, University of Texas - El Paso, and Oregon State University.
* There are multiple job postings for the Legacy Engineer position on the Careers website. If applying, please apply for the position title that aligns with your discipline.
1) Assists in the analysis and preparation of a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Assists in preparing engineering plans, designs, specifications, cost estimates, scheduling, evaluations and studies. Prepares engineering documentation including drawings, sketches, construction notes, purchase orders, specifications, work orders, bid evaluations, etc. Ensures engineering analyses, design, project control, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations.
3) Interfaces with customer and other departments to ensure project objectives are understood and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule.
4) Provides technical and field support within areas of specialty to assigned internal staff and customers. Assists with identifying deficiencies, potential schedule or quality problems and troubleshoots, formulates and initiates corrective action plans. Performs periodic testing and analysis of system data to minimize system/equipment failures. Complies with design, regulatory, operating and maintenance requirements.
5) Participates in the preparation of business cases and operational plans to successfully implement proposed projects.
6) Contacts customers and various levels of management to obtain or present technical data. Presents the results of designs, studies, projects (in terms of new techniques) or approaches to subordinates, colleagues, management and customers.
7) Remains cognizant of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
LAST REVISION DATE: 10/21/2019
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.