Mortenson Properties, Inc. ("MPI") is a commercial real estate investment company wholly owned by M.A. Mortenson Companies, Inc., a privately held corporation. MPI is a growing company that invests in commercial real estate through direct acquisitions and providing development capital partnering with Mortenson Development or third-party developers. MPI owns and operates a portfolio of Industrial, Medical Office, Life Science and Office assets. Key projects include Discovery Square (Rochester, MN), Northern Stacks (Fridley, MN), The 324 (Salt Lake City, UT), 76 Commerce Center (Brighton, CO) and HighPoint Logistics Park (Aurora, CO).
Mortenson Companies, Inc. is the parent company of M. A. Mortenson Company which is a top-20 builder, developer, and engineering services provider serving the commercial, institutional, and energy sectors. Founded in 1954, Mortenson has operations across North America with offices in Chicago, Denver, Fargo, Iowa City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
Mortenson Properties, Inc is looking for a Senior Investment Analyst is responsible for underwriting and complex financial modeling, including the preparation of cash flow projections, analysis of potential investments, and the research and maintenance of competitive set analyses for target markets. Provide financial analysis and execution support for MPI's commercial real estate opportunities and investment decisions.
What you will be doing:
- Underwrite and lead the financial analysis for real estate acquisitions and asset management decisions including the preparation of cash flow projections in Excel and ARGUS
- Under the oversight of the investment team, prepare the analysis of potential investments and preparation of investment committee memos used to evaluate opportunities
- Develop opinions on the Target Markets by curating research on supply/demand fundamentals and maintaining competitive set analysis for each targeted property type/submarket
- Build and maintain comparable sales database related to target markets and inform the business as appropriate
- Support the overall due diligence and closing process, including legal and asset management from acquisition/development to disposition
- Evaluate capitalization and financing strategies
- Oversight of the development and implementation of financial models to support credit analysis
- Assist in other projects and requests, as required
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- All other duties as assigned
How you will succeed:
- Familiarity with real estate finance as well as basic real estate operations, leasing and development concepts
- Advanced analytical skills, including the proven ability to perform financial modeling using Excel and ARGUS
- Strong underwriting ability, including deep understanding of property valuation utilizing discounted cash flow methodology, submarket fundamental forecasting and comparable analysis
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to apply analytical skills with attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and team orientation
- Highly motivated individual and proven interest in real estate finance
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines
- Analytically oriented
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Economics or Finance preferred
- Minimum three years of experience in commercial real estate or a related field; experience in office and industrial underwriting strongly preferred
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.