Job Title: Payroll and Human Resource Administrator
Location: Houston, Texas
Reports to: Payroll Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Gowan/ Garrett, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of EMCOR Group, Inc. EMCOR is the world's leading provider of mechanical and electrical construction and facilities services, including planning, consulting, and operations and maintenance.
We are Houston's largest single-source provider of premier construction, tenant buildouts, fabrication, HVAC contracting, and mechanical services.
Over the years we've built solid, long-term client relationships that have resulted in 85% repeat business.
We are a subsidiary of EMCOR Group a Fortune 500 company. Combine EMCOR's financial strength and award-winning, industry-leading safety program with Gowan Mechanical Services' wide range of capabilities and extensive HVAC and mechanical construction experience, and you have the ideal team to meet all your facilities requirements and ensure a solid return on your investment.
Job Summary: The Payroll & HR Administrator is responsible for assisting accounting with the quick and efficient processing of payroll. This requires strong analytical thinking skills, an attention to detail, and the ability to retain confidential information. Excellent interpersonal skills, pleasant phone manner, efficient typing ability (data entry), and familiarity with payroll software. In addition, this position provides primary HR Administration for Gowan, which includes preparing reports for the completion of Gowan's Annual Affirmative Action Plan, EEO-1, VETS 4212 and other federal, state or company required employment reports. Administers non-union recruiting process, onboarding and separations as well as leaves of absence, benefits enrollment, and maintaining of HRIS (UltiPro).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Include the following, other duties may be assigned
- Process an in-house weekly payroll for 500+ non-union and union hourly employees
- Experience/knowledge working with unions and an understanding of their benefits
- Verify timekeeping records and consult employees about any discrepancies
- Screen time-worked inputs for calculating, coding, or other errors
- Record payroll data in the company's payroll software system and verify all amounts prior to processing payroll
- Ensure all employees are paid on time via pay card or direct deposit
- Review and process payroll adjustments, including vacation, sick and other time off
- Collect banking information for direct deposit setup and initiate deposits on paydays
- Prepares and processes weekly tax files for Payroll tax transmission, including quarterly tax files, year-end tax files.
- Handles unemployment insurance reporting, requests and employment verifications.
- Maintain knowledge of rules and laws which govern payroll administration practices including taxation, benefits, and state & federal regulations
- Ensure that payroll-related transactions are processed in compliance with external and internal policies
- Maintains employee tax status or withholding information as needed
- Prepare pay cards for distribution to employees who do not have a direct deposit
- Transmit EFT to the bank
- Familiarize yourself and keep current with policies relating to the taxation of nonexempt employees, benefits and other payroll factors
- Process and monitor garnishment and child support orders and other issues that impact payroll specifications
- Document and maintain all payroll records
- Conduct semi-annual audits of all payroll records
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll issues or concerns
- Must be able to set up new hires and terminations in our Payroll/Human Resource system
- Must be able to set up new excel worksheets and maintain daily, weekly and monthly reports
- Establish and maintain accurate company and employee monthly payroll records
- Must be knowledgeable with W2
- Produces and distributes yearly W-2 statements and ACA forms and prepares and submits all required payroll tax packages.
- Posts non-union jobs through Ultipro
- Presents company required HR related training, as needed, and/or ensures training compliance
- Manage any relevant HR related audits, complaints, or claims.
- Coordinates new hire requests, interviewing process, pre-employment screening, and new hire documentation in compliance with all state and federal regulations.
- Responsible for ongoing compliance of maintaining employee files and associated records in accordance with all state and federal requirements.
- Responsible for weekly reporting of all employee related deductions to Corporate Benefits Portal.
- Each September prepares recruiting, current employee, promotion, and termination reports for creating annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- Prepares and submits annual EEO-1, VETS 4212, and other government required reports, typically on an annual basis.
- May be required to produce special reports weekly for tracking of furloughs, layoffs, salary reductions, etc., as needed by segment or corporate office.
- Maintains hiring, discipline, and termination practices in compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations including but not limited to EEOC and OFCCP compliance.
- Responds to TWC UI requests
- Manage Benefit (Medical/Dental/Life/FSA) enrollments, changes and billing as required in accordance with any applicable corporate deadlines and regulations
- Generates monthly Benefit Roll-up report in Ultipro.
- Facilitate with corporate 401K and Employee Stock Purchase Plan enrollments, changes, updates as required with any applicable deadlines and regulations.
- Produces weekly 401K report and upload to Ipswitch corporate website.Training
- On-the-job training specific to their role and the company
- Attends Corporate and ECS Segment training on AAPs, Recruiting, Onboarding, etc.
- 5 or more years of experience in running payroll
- Payroll Software (COINS but not required)
- Knowledge of Certified Payroll Processing Requirements
- 2 or more years of Human Resource Administration or related experience preferred
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Notice to prospective employees: There have been fraudulent postings and emails regarding job openings. EMCOR Group and its companies list open positions here. Please check our available positions to confirm that a post or email is genuine.
EMCOR Group and its companies do not reach out to individuals to help with marketing or other similar services. If an individual is contacted for services outside of EMCOR's normal application process - it is probably fraudulent.