JOB SUMMARY: The HIM Records Technician ensures availability and accessibility of the patient health record. Preforms quality checks, scans, and indexes clinical documentation into the Electronic Health Record (EHR). Prepares records requests. Assist with referral tracking to ensure that that the referral loop is being closed. Respond to subpoena request in conjunction with the compliance department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Checking, Examining, and Recording
* Review and include two patient identifiers, track EHR referrals, scan/index to EHR, forward electronically to designee for review and signature.
* Review e-fax documents, forward to appropriate folder for indexing.
* Review index documents to patients EHR as assigned.
* Review medical records for completeness, and files records in designated areas
* Manage patient records, initiates and replies to patient records requests documents for billing and/or legal services, manages duplicate charts, updates status changes for patients who are deceased or no longer with the organization, sends and receives information via facsimile machine or email, complies with all laws pertaining to HIPPA regulations.
Workplace Computers and Equipment
* Fax, scan, print, files needed for patient care.
* Receive telephone requests (specific to processing routine release of information requests) and determine if records should be processed internally or externally.
* Receive telephone requests (specific to processing same day release of information requests) to the appropriate internal staff.
* Request/process incoming records requests .
* Submit requested ROI documentation to requestors.
* Additional duties as necessary to meet the obligations of our clients.
Analytical and Critical Thinking
* Process urgent or same day release of information requests when appropriate.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Must possess excellent interpersonal skills
* Basic understanding of HIPAA and PHI
* Navigational knowledge of electronic medical health applications
* Must have good time management skills, organized, self-motivated
* Possess good written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
* Maintain a high level of productivity and confidentiality
* Work well in a team environment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
* Required: Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
* Required: One year of healthcare experience in an HIM Department, physician office, or medical environment.
* Required: Electronic patient record, medical terminology, scanning and indexing, computer experience.