Mortenson Properties, Inc. ("MPI") is a commercial real estate investment company wholly owned by M.A. Mortenson Companies, Inc., a privately held corporation. MPI is a growing company that invests in commercial real estate through direct acquisitions and providing development capital partnering with Mortenson Development or third-party developers. MPI owns and operates a portfolio of Industrial, Medical Office, Life Science and Office assets. Key projects include Discovery Square (Rochester, MN), Northern Stacks (Fridley, MN), The 324 (Salt Lake City, UT), 76 Commerce Center (Brighton, CO) and HighPoint Logistics Park (Aurora, CO).
Mortenson Companies, Inc. is the parent company of M. A. Mortenson Company which is a top-20 builder, developer, and engineering services provider serving the commercial, institutional, and energy sectors. Founded in 1954, Mortenson has operations across North America with offices in Chicago, Denver, Fargo, Iowa City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
The Investment Executive will be located in Salt Lake City, UT and will play a lead role in growing MPI's portfolio and market presence in the Salt Lake City region. The Investment Executive will be responsible for all facets of the investment process in the pursuit of office, industrial, medical office and select life science investments through both direct acquisitions and equity funding for development projects. This person will work through the full investment life cycle from opportunity identification, asset strategy execution, to stabilization or disposition in concert with the asset management team and with the guidance from senior members of the investment team.
What you will be doing:
- Evaluates new investment opportunities to identify attractive investment pursuits that align with the company's portfolio goals and objectives.
- Builds and maintains independent relationships with brokers, debt and equity capital partners, development partners, third- party management agents and service providers to promote investment objectives/goals
Due Diligence & Investment Strategy
- Responsible for the due diligence process including leading internal and external teams in the pursuit of evaluation of all critical components of potential investments.
- Participation with senior members of the investment team to develop investment strategies in the assigned region.
- Contributes to Investment Committee discussions and is responsible for presenting of materials for investment approvals.
- Responsible for effective coordination of internal resources both within MPI and the broader Mortenson company.
- Owns the successful execution of the asset strategy (leasing, property management, capital improvements, etc.) in partnership with Asset Manager.
- Functional oversight of the Asset Management team in maintaining long-term and short-term property level cash flow forecasts in ARGUS or the relevant system(s).
- Effectively works and builds relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- Executes closings of acquisitions and dispositions by acting as point person throughout the due diligence process.
- Participation in the annual planning for companywide goals and collaborate with all MPI departments on the pursuit of our broad company goals.
- Inspire the team with new ideas on how to continue to grow the MPI company and portfolio through new insights around investments as well as operational improvements.
All other duties as assigned
How you will succeed:
- Demonstrates ability to build and execute successful real estate strategies
- Uses independent judgement, ability to define problems and formulate and implement solutions
- Demonstrates strong financial acumen
- Demonstrates advanced analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates ability to run and prioritize multiple opportunities concurrently
- Proven positive and professional attitude
- Demonstrates strong leadership, communication, initiative and collaboration
- Demonstrates excellent customer relationship building skills, with developed local/regional business knowledge and relationships
- Demonstrates exceptional attention to detail sufficient for data management, reporting, financial projections, and market analysis
- Demonstrates active listening skills and effective communications
- Seeks out and solicits diverse input and feedback
- Ability to travel up to 20%
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business, real estate, or related field
- Minimum ten years' experience in asset management, development, or acquisitions of commercial real estate
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.