Are you interested in being part of an innovative team that supports Westinghouse's mission to provide clean energy solutions? At Westinghouse, we recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset and we seek to identify, attract and recruit the most qualified talent while recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the global workplace.
Senior Fire Protection Engineer, Location: Hybrid, Cranberry, PA, US
The Fire Protection Engineer applies experience and knowledge of fire protection engineering principles, theories, concepts and science to advise and assist clients and internal workgroups in preparing designs and evaluations of systems, products and procedures for the purpose of safeguarding life and property against damage caused by fires, explosions and related hazards.
The Fire Protection Specialist is expected to understand, in addition to general engineering principles:
- Fire Science - the underlying physical principles of fire and its related mechanisms.
- Active Fire Protection - the role of fire protection systems in fire safety design.
- Passive Protection - the role of passive protection measures in fire safety design.
- Human Behavior & Evacuation - the behavior of persons during an emergency and the principles of evacuation design and escape facilities.
- Performance-Based Design (PBD) - the principles of using a PBD approach for fire safety design.
- Fire Protection Analysis - the principles of technical analysis related to fire safety design.
- Computational Modeling - the use of advanced modeling related to fire safety design.
- Fire Hazard and Risk Assessment - the basic principles of risk management and probabilistic analysis.
- General Building Design - how architectural, engineering and technical principles are incorporated into the design of buildings, industrial construction and other similar facilities.
- Code and Regulations - the role of regulations in relation to fire safety design.
Your Day to Day:
- Design of fire suppression systems equipment and procedures in accordance with all applicable governing Codes and Standards and industry best practices.
- Design of fire detection, fire suppression and emergency signaling systems equipment and procedures in accordance with all applicable governing Codes and Standards and industry best practices.
- Development of performance-based design analyses utilizing fire protection engineering principles, Code analyses, consultation with Authorities Having Jurisdiction, computer-based fire modeling, egress calculations, and other available resources as necessary to suit the specific of each application.
- Creation of fire detection and emergency signaling system design and layout plans, schematics, equipment specifications, supporting design calculations, system narratives, and construction specifications.
- Creation of fire suppression system design criteria, specifications and layouts, preliminary hydraulic calculations, fire pump selection specifications, and fire detection system integration.
- Creation of special hazard fire protection designs, including but not limited to aspirating and beam-type smoke detection, video imaging detection, flame detection, suppression system monitoring and control and smoke control system integration.
- Creation of integration designs between life safety and building services systems as required to comply with all applicable Codes, Standards and system operating objectives, including but not limited to information technology, telephone, security, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing.
- Creation of detailed installation and commissioning work plans identifying acceptable installation methodologies, sequences, post-installation testing and commissioning and other associated critical installation parameters based on the system design documentation and applicable Codes and Standards.
- Provision of engineering review of shop drawings, construction oversight and inspection, field surveys and systems acceptance testing for all life safety systems, including but not limited to fire detection, emergency signaling and fire suppression systems.
- Attendance and participation in project meetings for the purposes of providing progress oversight, coordinating prioritization of work as it relates to other areas of construction, and providing recommendations for resolution of issues encountered by construction trades during implementation of life safety system designs.
- Evaluation of existing building and life safety system conditions through code compliance, life safety and fire hazards analysis surveys.
- Development of hazardous materials assessments for storage, process manufacturing and laboratory facilities.
- Creation of technical reports detailing specific fire prevention and protection issues, including identified compliance issues, applicable revisions to governing Codes or Standards, remedial work required to address deficiencies, and identified gaps in facility procedures and practices.
- Development and delivery of training materials related to fire protection and life safety for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Completion of periodic skills refreshment and enhancement through professional literature, conference attendance and participation in professional training.
- Provision of technical and interpretative guidance on the requirements of related Codes and Standards and the federal, provincial/state and municipal level for internal and external stakeholders.
- Provision of system-specific technical support for fire protection systems to site construction, operations and maintenance personnel.
- Provision of periodic after-hours or on-call engineering services in the event of an emergency.
What you need to be successful in this role:
- College diploma or degree in Fire Protection Engineering Technology orBachelor's or Master's degree in engineering from an accredited college or university
- 3 to 7 years related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Professional Engineering Licence or Limited Licence preferred but not required
- Certified Technicians and Technologists with accreditation from a nationally-recognized governing body (OACETT, NICET, etc.) will also be considered
- The successful candidate must be able and willing to submit for and maintain federal and facility-specific security clearance(s)
Westinghouse Electric Company is the global nuclear energy industry's first choice for safe, clean, and efficient energy solutions. We enable our delivery of this vision by living our value system:
- Safety and Quality
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus and Innovation
- Speed and Passion to Win
- Teamwork and Accountability
Westinghouse offers competitive benefits to all our employees around the globe to keep them healthy and enhance their well-being. In the U.S. the following are representative of what we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Health, Wellness and Income Protection Benefits
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Opportunities for Flexible Work Arrangements
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Employee Referral Program
While our Global Headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA, we have over 9,000 employees working at locations in 19 different countries. You can learn more by visiting .
EOE of Minorities / Females / Vets / Disability.
Get connected with Westinghouse on social media:
| | |
Westinghouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Vet
As an equal opportunity employer, Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnams Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact Westinghouse for assistance.