Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 40 times regionally over the past decade...
...What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Design Engineer II - Power Studies Focus, responsible for a broad range of detailed engineering designs for high voltage substation, collection and transmission projects through 500 kV. Candidate will be responsible for working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements. They will be responsible for performing a broad scope of engineering assignments of advanced difficulty requiring knowledge in engineering-related disciplines. They shall be capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria by using judgment in making adaptations and modifications and providing interpretations and conclusions.
Hiring Locations: Minneapolis, San Antonio, Fargo and Denver
What will you be doing?
- Create system and facility models and perform engineering system studies, using the latest engineering software packages, to perform short circuit analysis, load flow, reactive power, system losses, arc flash analysis, harmonic analysis, TOV/effectively grounded, substation/turbine grounding, etc.
- Has extensive knowledge of software packages: PSSE, ETAP, PSCAD, etc. CDEGS experience a plus
- Experience with system studies for Wind, Solar, Battery Storage and/or distributed computing projects relating to BOP construction
- Experience with grid interconnecting requirements including FERC, NERC, Interconnect Agreements and Utility requirements related to system studies.
- Gathers technical data and field information on electrical power systems to effectively document and analyze transmission and distribution facilities and perform system studies
- Generate comprehensive computerized technical reports
- Works independently with detailed direction from Engineering Lead
- Comfortable interfacing and presenting to multiple stakeholders (e.g. customer decision makers, project teams, etc.)
- Able to support multiple design projects at various stages in the design process at the same time.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings and sign off on testing report on major equipment from manufacturers
- Provide engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects
- Mentor, coach and develop junior team members
- Assists higher and lower level engineers in the completion of large complex projects
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of discipline specific technical designs, QA/QC procedures, and engineering policies
- Advanced knowledge of engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- Fully competent in the subject matter or the functional areas of assignments
- Requires professional design experience to assure competence as a professional
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Conducts project detailed designs aligned with our customer requirements and Mortenson's best practice standards
- Review of engineering work produces a first-time review rate of documents at 90% correct
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering designs/reports, including performing constructability reviews with field team members and owners.
- Performs data analysis and advanced engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects
- Develops and evaluates the technical requirements for fabrication and construction tender packages
- Initiates and maintains contacts with key engineers in other companies, suppliers and industry associations to maintain their technical expertise
- Extensive knowledge in system modeling and development of system studies ranging from 34.5 kV to 345 kV
- Experience with concepts of project management
How will you succeed?
- Experienced in electrical power engineering theories and principles.
- Experienced in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Minimum 4+ years related work experience in the T&D Industry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
- Graduate of four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- Professional Engineering (PE) certification or achievement of PE within 6 months of entering position.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.