Join a global professional services Leader. We are committed to solving the world's beiggest challenges in the areas of water, Energy and Urbanization.
GHD Inc. is seeking a broadly-talented and design-oriented planning and Urban Designer with experience in municipal and development planning. You will join a small independent design group in Northern or Southern CA - a team consisting of landscape architects, land use, and transportation planners.
You will lend urban design, site design, and planning document layout support to a wide range of project types, from community master planning, parks and public realm, private and public sector site design, and building programming. You will be familiar with related tasks in public engagement, planning deliverables, the basics of public policy, and fundamentals of project and task management.
Our small team works closely with Civil Engineering and Transportation disciplines; therefor you will be working independently in such a multidisciplinary environment. Readiness to advocate for design values and innovate through collaboration is a must. Experience in modelling urban massing for long range development, scaled conceptual site design for a range of building types and landscapes, digital production of planning diagrams and page layouts are all required.
Candidates must be prepared to present a personal portfolio demonstrating mapping and analytical diagrams, 3D, graphic page layouts, and basic Autocad drafting skills. Candidates must be prepared to describe their experience and role in preparing planning and urban design document deliverables.
- Coordinate and support the process for projects of a variety of scales, including urban districts and downtown precincts, TOD, corridors, walkable neighborhoods, land use and zoning studies, public realm design for multi-modal streets and recreation areas.
- Design support for development planning and diagramming, including preparation of square-footage tables tied to 3D models, conceptual building design, coloring and diagramming of development and open space concept plans in orthographic and aerial views.
- Preparation of plan documentation in MS Word and InDesign, using page layouts, headings, text, tables, and diagrams to communicate community policies, plan frameworks, and anticipated future developments. Infographics and data collection related to public engagement and presentations.
- Public outreach facilitation and stakeholder engagement; Infographics and data collection related to public engagement and presentations.
- Site research, field documentation, urban conditions analysis, synthesis of existing land use plans and policies, and production of base drawings depicting existing conditions
- Perform calculations and basic analytical tasks related to land use, demographics and survey methods
- Prepare or revise digital drawings based on markups, hand drawn conceptual plans, and notes
- Bachelor's degree in City or Regional Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Architecture or related field; master's degree in the above fields preferred
- 5+ years of related Planning, Landscape and Urban Design experience
- AICP or CNU certification preferred
- Proficiency with support for urban site design at a variety of scales including the block, the neighborhood, the district, and the city
- A thorough understanding of walkable urbanism and core urban design principles
- Project management experience including team communications, contract management, schedule and cost tracking, risk management and negotiations preferred
- A portfolio of experience that illustrates critical thinking skills that incorporate and blend innovative ideas in land use, architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning
- Demonstrated experience in preparing presentation materials for public outreach and workshops preferred, and experience in directly participating in face-to-face public engagement highly preferred.
- Autocad (AutoCAD 2019 or Civil3D) required
- Sketchup required
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) all required
- Google Earth required
- ArcMap or QGIS a plus
- Drafting and digital modeling to a professional level
- Strong graphic design skills
- Ability to take direction and constructively process professional critique
- Broad interests in a range of professional topics and allied disciplines
- Interacts well with other disciplines and clients to build productive relationships
- Self-organizes to prioritize and concurrently service multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Maintains open communication and an open mind to a range of professional types
- Permanent US Residency status
- Personal Portfolio or Project Sheets, minimum 5 projects (PDF, 20 MB Max.)
- Resume/CV (PDF)
- Cover Letter
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Salary range: $73,600.00 - $110,400.00