Job SummaryUnder close supervision, provide direct benchtop services support at customer facilities. Execute routine laboratory support procedures and preparations (e.g. media/buffer prep, solvent/reagent mixtures, filtrations, material weighing, some physical testing, witness senior staff experiments). Maintain lab inventory and labeling (e.g. chemical reagents, glassware, gas cylinder levels). Verification/maintenance of laboratory equipment (e.g. balances, pH meters, sonicator cleaning, glass washing).
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Completes routine laboratory procedures such as but not limited to preparation of solvents, buffers, resins, reagent solutions, media prep, mixing of chemicals, etc.
- Prepares samples for analysis including blanks and standards; data entry of sample log and preparation of sample submission tables.
- Reports timely and accurate test results according to laboratory policies and procedures
- Routine maintenance of lab instruments and troubleshooting.
- Small scale purification post-processing including filling racks, combining fractions, dry down, weighing, checking fractions, and obtaining final LCMS. Requires operation of balance, speed vac, sonicator, Open Access LCMS.
- Stores chemicals properly, disposes of chemical waste, adheres to safety procedures, and participates in safety programs.
- Manages inventory, maintains, processes, and orders laboratory supplies including glassware, and chemicals for biotech/pharmaceutical processes.
- Updates temptale logbook.
- Maintains files, tracks orders, and processes shipping requests.
- Tracks and documents chemical usage and inventory.
- Glass wash and restocking, chemical repacking, cylinder delivery and pickup, managing dry ice and liquid nitrogen dispensing, and waste disposal.
- Maintains clean room to prevent contamination and integrity of production.
- Operates laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Calibrate balances and pH meters.
- Clean and prepare dissolution baths and sonicators.
- Conduct hardness tests, appearance tests, Karl Fischer tests and disintegration tests.
- Label samples and set up trays for studies.
- Inventory and label reference standards.
- Inspect laboratory safety stations.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- High school diploma or GED required; associate's degree preferred
- 1-2 years experience in a laboratory setting and understanding of laboratory equipment
- Spill containment training, IATA, DOT, IMDG and OSHA Right to Know a plus
- Valid Driver's License and transportation
- Previous experience working in a GMP facility a plus
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Conform to all customer requirements for background checks, health and safety issues, security clearances and medical checkups
- Requires knowledge in using various instruments to prepare for and perform tests
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent Customer Service Skills; display a professional can-do attitude
- Perform duties with the highest regard for safety and quality
- Ability to understand and follow site protocols, policies and procedures
- Must be flexible, forward- thinking, motivated, and have the ability to act independently
- Valid Driver's License
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs minimum
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office with proficiency in Word and Excel
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of VWR's products and services
- Problem-solving skills
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
The work environment characteristics and physical effort described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typically works in an laboratory or production environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level
Associates use both hands for repetitive actions such as grasping and manipulating as well as both feet for repetitive movement operating foots controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
The associate is required to stand and walk for the majority of the working day. The physical requirements of the job are for associates to talk, hear, bend/stoop, squat, crawl, climb height, reach above shoulder height, crouch, kneel, balance, and push/pull. Furthermore, the job requires associates to lift/carry/push or pull up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.