Important Note: Mary's Center is mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for all staff, except for those that demonstrate an approved medical or religious exception.
The CDA Instructors is part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
Briyas workforce development programs provide integrated education and training the field of healthcare and early childhood education. Through these programs, adult learners prepare for national industry recognized certifications in high-demand careers while also increasing their academic and workforce development skills and knowledge. Briyas Child Development Associate program equips students to provide high-quality care and education for future early childhood teachers, home visitors or directors of licensed childcare development centers.
Weekly work schedule:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop daily/weekly lesson plans that adhere to the CDA Curriculum with fidelity and exemplify best practices in instructional design and adult learning principles.
- Utilize effective strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process, incorporating contemporary tools, technologies, and resources, that promote and stimulate all learning modalities.
- Design authentic learning experiences for students to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective childcare providers at both center-based as well as home-based settings.
- Evaluate students' progress and curriculum's effectiveness through regular formal and informal assessments including CASAS, quizzes, and group activities.
- Plan in collaboration other staff to ensure that all components are integrated education and training are seamlessly implemented into the regular curriculum.
- Teach CDA classes in the as part of our 2-Gen afternoon program (CDA - Spanish) and in evening setting (CDA- English), integrating academic skills (literacy, digital literacy, and math), workforce development and the 13 areas of content related to the CDA Curriculum.
- Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate, actively supports teaching and learning, and implements the curriculum with fidelity.
- Utilize effective teaching strategies and adult learning principles that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process.
- Use assessments and evaluation data to monitor student learning, instructional effectiveness, and instructional decisions. Provide ongoing, informal assessments to provide increased instructional opportunities. Assist with the coordination of data collection.
- Provide a safe and orderly learning environment in the classroom.
- Oversee learners' portfolio completion by tracking documents, providing guidance, feedback and coaching.
- Support CDA-English alumni in fulfilling the requirements for certification and job placement and retention.
Student Support & Other Duties
- Meet on weekly basis with Program Coordinator to discuss topics such as lesson plans and instruction, assessment data analysis, students' portfolios, and attendance/enrollment.
- Maintain accurate academic records of all the students attending assigned classes.
- Collaborate with Student Services to provide referrals for families regarding social, health, legal and educational resources and opportunities available in the area.
- Assist special events such as graduation and other school-based celebrations.
- Supply information and data needed for reporting and work with the monitoring teams who visit the school.
- Participate in all staff meetings, training, and retreats.