Are you a fire protection engineer? Are you looking for a challenging position at a company with excellent benefits, great work/life balance, and job stability? If so, you're in luck! The Naval Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) Building & Fire Protection Engineering (BFPE) unit at the Kenneth A. Kesselring Site in Ballston Spa, NY is looking for a principal fire protection engineer to fill the role of Fire Code Official and oversee the Fire Protection Program.
The BFPE is responsible for the site code enforcement plan and fire protection program. They also provide the engineering resource to support operation, maintenance and system reliability of the sites fire protection systems as well as building code compliance for new construction and building modifications.
Want to learn more about our mission at the Kenneth A. Kesselring Site? Our primary mission of the site is to train nuclear Officers and Enlisted personnel to operate the United States Navy's nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines on our sprawling 4,000 acres. The success of our mission relies on a strong fire protection program to support facility infrastructure, operations, construction and emergency planning and response.
As the Fire Code Official, the successful candidate will oversee the administration and enforcement of the fire protection program. This position will require the fire code official to interact with multiple organizations, site management, project execution teams, systems engineers and building owners. The successful candidate should be comfortable working in a self-directed environment and mentoring more junior engineers within the team. The fire protection program is broad and encompasses all aspects of fire prevention and protection which includes. Key elements of that program are:
* Inspection, testing and maintenance of fire protection systems
* Design and construction oversight of fire protection and life safety systems
* Facility assessment and fire hazard analysis programs
* Equivalencies, waivers and exceptions programs
* Emergency planning & response
* General and intimate knowledge of building, fire, and life safety codes that includes varying levels of design, implementation, and field service in one or more of those codes or standards.
* Minimum four years of progressive engineering practice, three of which were in responsible charge of diverse fire protection engineering work.
* Experience with the design and maintenance of fire protection systems including alarm and detection, water-based and gaseous suppression systems, fire and life safety code reviews, and fire hazard analysis.
* Working knowledge of the Building Code set for New York State and associated reference standards
* Working knowledge with NFPA standards
* Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification or Professional Engineer (PE) registration
* Strong interpersonal and teaming skills
* Coordination of multi-discipline teams
* Strong written and verbal communication skills