Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of the Labor Relations Specialist.
- Represents the company in addressing, investigating and resolving labor issues between management and the labor force, ensuring consistent application of contracts, local agreements, laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Conducts initial investigations and evaluations of union grievances, organizes meetings with supervisors to prepare for the Step 2 grievance process, and updates grievance logs and files to ensure accurate records.
- Coaches, counsels, and trains supervisors on the hourly employee disciplinary process, the hourly employee job-bidding process, and the day-to-day issues and questions that arise between the company and hourly employees.
- Supports the Labor Relation Manager in facilitating discussions between union representatives and company representatives in an effort to proactively resolve and clarify issues impacting either group.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with union representatives and employees.
- Assists in the development, implementation and revision of policies, such as, work rules and disciplinary procedures governing bargaining unit employees.
- Coordinates employee communications to keep employees informed regarding changes in work rules and policies.
- Performs tasks related to the employment office, such as, assisting with extra list scheduling, maintaining hourly personnel files and answering general questions.
- Assists with hourly investigations and composes findings and recommendations based on the outcome of those investigations.
- Attends grievance hearings, takes and prepares notes, and assist with the drafting of grievance answers.
- Assists in preparation for arbitration hearings, contract negotiations and responses to information requests.
- Oversee apprentice program