PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Implement Mortenson's Zero Injury Safety program, develop and administer the site-specific safety plans, and monitor construction activities to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for larger project sites or multiple smaller project sites.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL TEAM MEMBERS
At Mortenson, we believe everyone is a leader. For that reason, every team member is expected to apply our leadership principles - Do The Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What's Possible - in their work. This means we act with dependability, initiative and a positive attitude to produce high quality work and deliver an exceptional customer experience. We are on time, productive and consistent in our attendance. We approach work as part of a team, listen to the opinions of others and cooperate to achieve project goals. We accept direction from supervisors and seek out constructive feedback. We follow rules and procedures to ensure quality work and safeguard the wellbeing of ourselves and others. We push to exceed the established goals, standards and accountabilities of our positions to increase quality, safety and innovation.
All team members are responsible for supporting a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment, as well as positively contributing to our company culture. This begins by aligning with Mortenson's values and ethical standards as stated in the Mortenson Code of Ethics and Business Conduct, in addition to abiding by the procedures and practices outlined in the Mortenson Operations Manual.
Mortenson is currently seeking a passionate Senior Safety Engineer II for our Solar Group who is looking for a supportive leader with the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The Senior Safety Engineer will work to implement Mortenson's Zero Injury Safety program across multiple project sites and ensure a safe work environment for team members, subcontractors, and visitors to the construction work site
Location: Willing to go anywhere in the United States
What will you be doing?
You will be responsible for Implementing Mortenson's Zero Injury Safety program, developing and administering the site-specific safety plans, and monitoring construction activities to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for larger project sites or multiple smaller project sites. In addition, your responsibilities will be the following:
- Oversee, lead, and manage the implementation of the Zero Injury Safety Program and lead project management in the development of site-specific safety plan for a single project site. Assist the operating group safety director in group level safety and health initiatives as requested.
- Develop, coordinate and conduct project safety orientation and training programs.
- Provide coaching and conduct train the trainer sessions, where qualified, for engineers on same assigned projects
- Conduct project's loss control data/document collection and trend analysis. Support project management in the development and implementation of improvement action plans as necessary.
- Record, monitor and analyze leading and trailing safety, injury, and hazard data.
- Assist with incident reporting, investigation, and analysis.
- Lead injury and case management (return to work and modified duty assignments).
- Review safety submittals and attend precon/prep meetings with subcontractors.
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns.
- Coach safety engineers on assigned projects in submittal / plan review
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis.
- Mentor safety engineers working on same project assignments, provide development opportunities and delegate assignments in order to further growth
- Act as a resource and provide technical assistance to the project team, and onsite safety engineers.
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns.
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, and procedures.
- Act as resource for safety issues or concerns to all project team members.
- Attend and/or lead safety meetings.
- Accompany safety, health, insurance, and OSHA personnel on work-site tours.
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels.
How will you succeed?
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and support multiple project tasks
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office and pertinent safety related software programs
- Show positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate and apply Mortenson policies
- Ability to coach and mentor project team members in safety management skills
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
- Ability to travel up to 100% with rotations every 3 weeks and 5 days off
- Bachelor's Degree in safety, occupational health or related field
- Minimum five years of construction safety experience
- If no Bachelor's degree, high school diploma, CHST Certification, OSHA 500 and minimum of ten years construction experience leading crews and planning work, including at least six years as a dedicated construction safety professional responsible for managing safety programs, conducting hazard analysis and developing controls, and planning work activities or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- Valid driver's license
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Visa sponsorship is not offered for this position.