Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Safety and Security Office is looking for a qualified Shift Safety Officer to staff 24/7 operations at the Daytona Beach campus. Shift Safety Officers provide general safety and security to the campus community by conducting continual preventive patrols by vehicle, foot, and golf cart providing lock and unlock services, investigating and documenting incidents, enforcing rules & regulations, and responding to emergency conditions.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintaining security and safety of campus personnel (students, faculty, staff, contractors, etc.) and property by patrolling and securing buildings, checking building security, safeguarding property, monitoring access control, and responding to emergency conditions.
- Conducting investigations of incidents or conditions of safety and security relevance. Completing thorough and accurate reports and department paperwork in a timely manner.
- Enforcing rules, regulations, and policies on campus in a professional, courteous manner.
- Providing services for campus personnel such as escorts, special watches and information. Acting as campus liaison after university business hours.
- Providing assistance at special events.
The Embry-Riddle safety and security department is a 24/7 operation which must be staffed at minimum levels at all times. Unscheduled overtime is required as needed or when special university details occur. Shift Safety Officers may be required to work one or more of the following 10-hour shifts with three days off per week:
A shift 06:00 - 16:00
B shift 13:00 - 23:00
C shift 21:00 - 07:00Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Prior law enforcement, military police, public safety or emergency services experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to write legibly, speak clearly, and manage multiple and sometimes stressful tasks (involving radio, phone, and personal communications) at the same time.
- A pre-employment drug screening is required and candidate is subject to random drug screening during employment period.
- Associate's degree preferred.
Physical requirements for this position include the following:
- Ability to ascend several flights of stairs in a building emergency.
- Ability to walk quickly or run from one portion of campus to another.
- Must be able to walk or stand during the course of a shift when required.
- Must be able to sit, in confined space, for extended periods of time.
- Much of the Shift Safety Officer's time will be spent outdoors monitoring campus safety and thus will be subject to weather conditions at the Daytona Beach, FL location.
Driving and Background Requirements:
- Due to the nature of this position, qualified candidate must have a background free of felony convictions, crimes of violence or moral turpitude. Qualified candidates must also have a clean driving record, a valid Florida driver's license, and "D" license from State Division of Licensing. Each candidate has to meet the University's standards for approved drivers. Unacceptable driving records may include the following (for three years from the date of each occurrence):
- More than 3 moving violations and/or accidents in three years.
- More than 2 moving violations and/or accidents in any year.
- A major conviction in the last three years, including (but not limited to) driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, and/or homicide or assault by motor vehicle.
Please apply online, upload a resume, and provide contact information for three professional references.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University recognizes the value of diversity and is dedicated to fostering a positive climate in which all students, faculty, and staff are encouraged in their professional, social, and intellectual pursuits. Embry-Riddle is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for qualified individuals. The University does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.