Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002...
...What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson's Portland office is looking for a Design Phase Executive who will be responsible for providing advanced project leadership during the design phase as it relates to customer experience, financial performance, schedule, estimating, design and planning that results in a smooth transition to construction operations. May provide guidance and oversight on multiple projects simultaneously and/or actively lead a large, complex project.
What will you be doing?
- Serve as primary point of contact with owners, architects, engineers, and trade partners during the design phase and lead the overall project team
- Responsible for oversight and alignment of project budget and scope expectations, and any associated communications and resources
- Responsible for overall project schedule, manages through people management and achievement tracking
- Ensure regulatory approvals and permits are obtained
- Ensure proper alignment of design documents and project execution plan
- Provide advanced resolution to technical design and specification concerns
- Review project margin plans, and develop financial strategies to minimize risk and enhance opportunity
- Responsible for establishing project success factors for customers, design partners, and Mortenson team and to ensure the team is monitoring and measuring against these goals
- Responsible for establishing an integrated team experience by ensuring role clarity, proper communication, and facilitating a culture that fosters collaboration
- Oversee or facilitate the solicitation, selection, and contracting with designers for design build projects
- Familiar with all contract structures and delivery models, and assists in owner agreement contract negotiations
- Manage, mentor, and guide design phase team members to ensure clear direction and career growth
- Develop and/or lead the preparation and presentation of project proposals
- Perform market research for future design and construction opportunities; may take lead for specific market segment
- Lead corporate initiatives, and engage in strategic efforts with business service groups to promote collaboration, communication and continuous improvement
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- Lead team members by example, offer effective coaching and feedback, and effectively manage performance
How you will succeed:
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Shown ability to fulfill development responsibilities for complex projects
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Risk management skills
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Shown positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Shown ability to resolve cross-cultural conflict in a culturally appropriate manner
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
- Ability to travel up to 100%
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, inclusive behaviors, and Affirmative Action plans and their intended use
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management, Estimating, or equivalent field
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience
- Previous experience leading and providing oversight to integrated project teams
- Previous experience in design build construction work
- Previous experience in conceptual estimating is preferred
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.