Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002...
...What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Are you an innovator? Do you have the aptitude to anticipate problems, critical issues and opportunities as they arise? Do you possess the capability to problem solve and create viable solutions?
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Design Phase Manager to lead the design process and ensure the owner's vision is translated into solutions and construction parameters. Demonstrating strong written and verbal communication skills is vital, as you will interact with staff at all levels, in an ever-changing environment. You will drive successful results by remaining flexible, inventive, dedicated and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
Must be a US Citizen for this role.
Location: Tyson's Corner and DMV Market- Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia
What will you be doing?
- Run the design process
- Work closely with customers/owners to define completed project expectations, including key factors to focus on within the design phase,
- Facilitate the solicitation, selection, and contracting with designers for design build projects
- Develop and/or lead the preparation and presentation of project proposals
- Develop detailed project design phase and baseline construction schedules
- Conduct detailed construction planning, including contract manual, subcontractor selections, MWD/BE participation, trade and site utilization planning, disruption avoidance planning, owner direct purchase planning, all within principles of Lean Design Delivery and utilization of BIM/VDC technology
- Lead the design team in facilitating designs incorporating constructability, logistics solutions, identifying customers' expectations, and critical success factors, providing meaningful input to project's programming and conceptual design activities.
- Lead the estimating team in development of technical design aspects of project including drawing, specifications and scheduling, in addition to cost documentation.
- Analyze design phase costs, including estimate preparation, technical estimating, valued engineering, life-cycle analysis and budgetary/financial management
- Obtain regulatory approvals and ensure risk management requirements are met for insurance, bonding, owner contract, and subcontractor T & Cs
- Implement LEED tracking and analysis
- Oversight and supervision of design phase team members
- Mentor Design Phase Engineers and encourage career development and growth
- Ensure team members have resources and support
- Provide work direction and performance evaluations
- Identify hiring needs and participate in hiring, discipline, and dismissal decisions if needed
Other duties as assigned
- Model and set the tone for extraordinary customer relations, gathering feedback and clarification during design process, as well as identifying future projects and collaboration
- Run site work and logistics efficiently, providing suggestions for improvement
How will you succeed?
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and run multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Minimum six years relevant experience
- Current driver's license
- Bachelor's degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management, Estimating, or equivalent field
- MUST be US Citizen
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.