CHIEF OPERATING ENGINEER PROFILE
Reports to: General Manager, position is exempt
WHO WE ARE
Hotels done differently. It's not just a slogan or catchphrase, it is who we are in everything we do. We believe in the power of People, Place and Character; ensuring our properties are a place where individuals are valued and celebrated as a tribute to the neighborhoods and the people of the communities in which we operate; elevating our associates' pride in who they are, where they live and who we serve.
The Detroit Foundation Hotel has transformed the historic Detroit Fire Department Headquarters into a 100 room independent hotel that adds another piece to the ongoing Detroit renaissance puzzle. The hotel draws on the Motor- City's unparalleled past while proactively moving the city to its next incarnation as a national cultural, business and artistic touch- point. Featuring an inviting ground- floor restaurant, The Apparatus Room, the hotel partners with local distillers, brewers, farmer s and other edible sundry purveyors to deliver and authentic Detroit experience.
The hotel is managed by Aparium, which was founded in 2011, driven by the belief that all hospitality experiences should be fueled by the poetics of their surroundings, Aparium was born with an intense focus on unearthing the amazing moments unique to every city. Since its founding, Aparium has grown into a new kind of hotel brand, one that ventures off the beaten path, both geographically and philosophically. It is a sophisticated hotel brand known for its singular ability to combine the business acumen of large hospitality companies with the charm of boutique hotels, bringing disparate forces together in bustling, smaller markets.
Since its founding, Aparium has grown into a new kind of hotel brand, one that ventures off the beaten path, both geographically and philosophically. It is a sophisticated hotel brand known for its singular ability to combine the business acumen of large hospitality companies with the charm of boutique hotels, bringing the disparate forces together in bustling, smaller markets.
WHO YOU ARE
You are humble and understand the need to work side by side with others; and you take feedback to make things better seriously. Your career experience is eclectic and dynamic. You have prepared for the worst emergency, and you are the one exuding calm, confidence and know-how when the unexpected rears its head. You have a special place in your heart for the people and teams you have worked with and developed during your career. You are a hands-on leader that understands training and teaching is never ending.
You verbalize instructions in a calm and cool fashion. You understand that an organized and systematic approach to preventative maintenance is necessary for the life and well-being of the property. You know every hour spent in preparation is worth ten in reaction. You know success comes through collaboration and teamwork.
The Chief Operating Engineer reports to the General Manager and like all qualified engineers possesses the diverse knowledge of electrical, plumbing, steam, gas, fire & safety, and HVAC refrigeration. As an operating engineer this position is required to be hands-on and dive into the day-to-day operation, service and repairs of hotel equipment, so if you prefer to "see the forest" and aren't willing to "plant the trees", this is not a role for you.
The role will also actively develop trusting and transparent relations with their fellow managers and associates of the hotel. As a leader within Aparium Hotel Group this leadership position will work with a phenomenal group of peers who insist that you are collaborative, humble, experienced and open-minded - no egos are allowed.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Uphold and role model the company's principles of People, Place and Character; and ensure direct reports are also modeling the way of our values that drive collaboration, intuition and translocal hospitality
- Actively participate in the interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and motivating Engineering associates to create an environment that nurtures ideas and develops future talent for succession planning in the Hotel Operation
- Lead the pre-opening and post-opening planning to ensure a comprehensive preventative maintenance program, work order system that will extend the life of all furniture, fixtures and equipment in the hotel; and respect the new equipment and abide by the warranties.
- Assign associates to complete the needed activities for the day and inspect their accomplishments; and monitor associate activities to ensure standards are achieved, and associates feel supported and valued to meet and exceed guests' needs
- Observe conditions of all physical facilities and equipment in the hotel operation and work in collaboration with other operating divisions and any third-party vendors to establish detailed cleaning and preventative maintenance programs to ensure appearance and life of all furniture, fixtures and equipment throughout the hotel , as your presence will be as regular in the outlets and floors as it is in the office
- Be responsible for the safety, security, satisfaction and well-being of hotel guests and associates; respond swiftly and effectively in any hotel emergency of safety situations; and verify all associates are trained and following proper emergency procedures and responses while providing reliable 24 -hour emergency service
- Be fluent in operational metrics, KPI's and P&L's and demonstrates critical thinking skills by connecting those with operational observations; provide coaching and corrective action that targets root causes of issues and the highest priorities in the operation of the Engineering Department
- Participate in all Hotel Operations meetings to provide thoughtful and insightful suggestions and feedback in order to give a voice to the Engineering Department while demonstrating commitment to the success and innovation of the hotel
- Lead or partner with external contracted companies to assure quality and timeliness of work while prioritizing the guest experience and developing long term partnerships; and ensure the supplies and vendors treat the associates and guests as well as you do
- Communicate regularly with the General Manager to provide updates and align on priorities, discuss plans, and request for any additional resources to support the operations; and any additional tasks and responsibilities as requested by the General Manager in support of a successful operation
- Aparium Hotel Group does not discriminate based on disability, veteran status or on any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. The.; and the hotel and company are a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience within a Maintenance and Facilities leadership role, within an upscale, lifestyle hotel or residential community
- Degree or certifications in HVAC, Electrical, Mechanical, Refrigeration or Life Safety Systems
- Certified Pool Operator License
- Advanced knowledge of hotel property, plant and equipment and preventative maintenance systems
- Pre-opening experience within the hotel or residential preferred
- Professional proficiency of the English language in reading, writing and verbal communication.
- Ability to demonstrate intermediate skills in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of computer-assisted maintenance, such as MPS and BMS.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for extended periods, bend, climb stairs and lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays
HOW YOU WILL LEAD
- Exemplify leading by example by working directly with each member of your team and be willing to coach and counsel with gentle correction and critical but constructive feedback
- Openly collaborate with all departments in the hotel including Sales, Banquets & Catering, Guest Services, Housekeeping, Food & Beverage and Culinary to provide an exemplary guest experience; be comfortable in debating ideas before implementing a decision that will impact operations property-wide, as we do not work in silos
- Be respectful in your daily interactions with your direct managers, direct reports, and your peers; be an example of the utmost professionalism and a pillar in your community
- Highly analytical in thought and recommendations; although will never act like the smartest person in the room; and continually seek out the facts; can express a point of view without it be driven by an ego
- Engages others in general conversation tactics to build rapport quickly; and can lead and adapt communication and presentation tactics to engage audience; displays adaptable interpersonal skills for a wide range of audiences and stakeholders
- Approaches fact finding and discovery missions in a collaborative effort; values input and experiences of others that creates additional insight to uncover deeper issues that need to be addressed or removed as a barrier to implementation
- Passionate in driving results of their effort and others; can influence others to take direction to execute on strategy through tactical methods; and is comfortable in prioritizing their work and that of others
- Comfortable in being a "general" in identifying strategic needs, yet can be a "soldier" to ensure the implementation of a strategic plan is implemented
- Prioritizes and organizes their own work when necessary by working flexible or extended hours to accommodate increased workload; can flex to the needs of an opening hotel and short-notice needs
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Aparium Hospitality Services celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment and sense of belonging. We do not discriminate and believe every individual should be proud of who they are, where they come from and take pride in who we serve.