The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Member of the Health and Safety team providing BNBI staff with resources necessary (i.e., training, SOP's, subject matter expertise) to conduct work in a safe manner. Supports daily operations and development of Industrial Hygiene and other Health & Safety programs necessary for safe/secure operations inside Biosafety Level (BSL)-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 environments and industrial support areas. Works with multidisciplinary teams responsible for ensuring successful operation and continuing certification of the NBACC Laboratory.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) preferably in industrial hygiene or a safety related field and 2-5 years' experience in the development and operation of OSHA General Industry Health & Safety programs with a focus on industrial safety in a highly regulated high hazard facility (commercial) preferred.
* Demonstrates ability to work under pressure, speak and write clearly, and convince others to accept feasible and logical alternatives.
* Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) desirable.
* Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC's management system (e.g., ISO).
* Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance and suitability for DHS.
* Participation in the Immunization Program, Medical Surveillance Program, and/or enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) may be required, dependent upon position and/or business needs.
* May be required to participate in NBACC's alternative work schedule and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
* Develops innovative solutions to resolve/prevent health and safety issues and to identify opportunities for continuous improvement in industrial hygiene programs.
* Fosters a Health & Safety environment which encourages staff participation, supports a robust safety culture, and helps to create a "questioning" approach to NBACC activities.
* Develops policies, plans, and procedures which address the health and safety aspects industrial safety and industrial hygiene (Electrical Safety, Permit Required Confined Space Program, Control of Hazardous Energy Program, Hearing Conservation, and air sampling).
* Reviews and monitors NBACC work activities with focus on the health and safety aspects of the work.
* Identifies any necessary mitigating controls to allow work to proceed within acceptable risk levels.
* Trains staff on applicable industrial hygiene procedures and policies.
* Assesses level of NBACC compliance with applicable health safety requirements.
* Supports the Chemical Hygiene Program.
* Serves as Alternate Emergency Manager.
* Support biosafety and biocontainment activities within the NBACC.
* Maintains appropriate records.
* Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.