Who We Are
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. IDA's mission is to answer the most challenging U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic expertise. IDA operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC's).
This position is responsible for providing contractual expertise to the Contracts Management function at IDA. Reports to the Contracts Manager and works closely with the General Counsel and Division staff in the effective execution of this role. Responsibilities include administration of contract management activities, interactions with government contracting personnel, internal and external auditors, and IDA management and staff.
- Administers contract management processes and identifies potential issues to ensure compliance with all contractual terms and conditions.
- Reviews, negotiates, and administers prime contracts and contract modifications according to signature authority; for manager approval if greater than authorized.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of FAR regulations, FFRDC and sponsor contract requirements and IDA contracting practices to ensure consistent application of these requirements in the end-to-end management of contracts.
- Works closely with IDA research staff to organize and manage prime contract activities including the submittal of cost proposals with supporting documentation; Intergovernmental Personnel Assignments and/or government personnel coming to work at IDA on temporary basis.
- Works closely with IDA administrative and management staff for successful contract placement and execution including the identification, notification, and resolution of potential contractual issues.
- Establishes and maintains proactive, effective working relationships with government contracting and audit officials.
- Monitors the processing of contract tasking and funding from start to completion, working closely with funding offices/sponsors and IDA administrative and management staff.
- Resolves contracting issues by interacting with government contractors and/or audit officials.
- Organizes contract/task setup in the management and financial systems (Costpoint) to assure compliance with contract terms and accurate reporting and billing.
- Works closely with both finance staff and government contracting staff to identify and resolve invoicing issues.
- Maintains complete and accurate IDA forms related to contracts management to remain current and in compliance with contractual requirements.
- Works with Contract Manager to leverage technology and digitalize IDA's contractual processes, records management, metrics and reporting capabilities.
- Manages and administers subcontracts and consultant agreements to ensure compliance with all contractual terms and conditions.
- Maintains complete and accurate IDA forms related to consultant management to remain current and in compliance with legal, regulatory and contractual requirements.
- Maintains a working knowledge of FAR procurement regulations, CPSR requirements and IDA procurement practices to ensure consistent application of these requirements in the procurement of services.
- Works closely with IDA research divisions and corporate operations to provide timely, effective and efficient procurement of subcontracted services that comply with ID procurement practices:
- Performs market research, RFP development, procurement management, negotiation, contract award and administration.
- Identifies potential issues in corporate infrastructure subcontracts.
- Reviews corporate commercial contracts for issues or concerns.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and five years of progressively responsible work experience in government contracting, subcontracting and purchasing OR equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- History of working with government contracts and commercial contracts.
- Knowledge of federal government contract types, government funding/contracting processes, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and agency supplements.
- Fundamental understanding of finance and accounting including government contract accounting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of automated business systems (Costpoint/Deltek preferred).
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- US citizenship is required.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.