Staff Accountant - Senior
Job #: SLS-19043
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: October 6, 2021
Provides accounting support to the Director of Finance and Manager of General Accounting and Financial Reporting. This includes maintaining the general accounting system, preparing the financial statements and budgets for the Hospital and other subsidiaries of the Health System, and completing other tasks as determined by management/director of the Finance department.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Prepares monthly financial statements and other necessary/requested financial information in a timely manner.
- Supervises the staff accountants and accounting assistant. This includes assistance with solving problems, and taking an active role in staff development.
- Compiles and assists the Manager, Budgets in the preparation of the Annual Budget, including coordination with appropriate personnel for entities under his/her responsibility.
- Responsible for the monthly general ledger closing and maintaining the general accounting system (e.g. account reconciliations, review daily cash summaries, preparation of journal entries).
- Analyzes actual vs. budget variances on a monthly basis and confers with the Manager, General Accounting and Financial Reporting and Director of Finance on all material variances. Investigates variances by communicating with appropriate personnel of entities.
- Analyzes accounting systems and procedures, making recommendations to the Manager, General Accounting and Financial Reporting for improvement of internal controls or processes when necessary. Documents accounting systems/procedures.
- Assists management staff in resolving expense management problems when accounting clarification is needed.
- Assists external auditors and prepares all necessary audit schedules for entities.
- Prepares other financial analyses of entities when requested by the Director of Finance and Manager, General Accounting and Financial Reporting.
- Responsible for accumulating information for tax preparers to ensure timely filing of various tax returns (e.g. Form 990, 990T, 1120), or direct preparation of tax returns in some instances (e.g. personal property).
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or related field is required.
- Three years of related experience, If Bachelors is in unrelated field, five year of experience is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.
Diversity Inspires Inclusion and Inclusion Includes Y.O.U.