The Underwriting and Portfolio Management organization is responsible for working with internal partners to underwrite new transactions and manage the existing portfolio of loans. Our Underwriters and Portfolio Managers balance supporting the Commercial's Bank's growth and ensuring we have a scalable,
well-managed business. This role supports the Commercial Real Estate te.
This position is expected to demonstrate subject matter expertise in credit risk management and to perform responsibilities independently. In addition to your own job duties, you may play a leadership role across deal teams by guiding and shaping more junior associates. You are trusted with the most complex
transactions and solving unique problems because of your experience and job specific skills. #UWPM
Primary underwriting responsibilities may include:
* Lead due diligence process and calls; evaluate industry research to draw relevant conclusions on material strengths, risks, and mitigants
* Assist less experienced team members in financial statement analysis and cash flow analysis
* Prepare and review financial models independently
* Operate in close partnership with the relationship manager in developing a Sponsor coverage model. This may include client meetings, client calls and negotiations. High client facing skills and customer facing acumen.
* Have or develop a deep market knowledge of a specified geographic coverage area. Have a broad understanding of CRE fundamentals in that area, these would include CRE trends, market metrics, as well as Sponsor preferences.
* Coordinate with deal team on appropriate structuring options or overrides to financial models
* Write and prepare all parts of the credit approval document; may review work of less experienced members of the team; begin to take a leadership role in conversations with internal partners
* Oversee closing process requirements; review closing memo
* Prepare term sheets, commitment letters and fee letters with minimal guidance; understand provisions of all credit documents and can provide rationale; negotiate credit docs with guidance
* Drive the overall deal process in a highly efficient and timely manner and lead communication with internal and external constituents; constructively improves deal process.
* Delegate spreading and risk ratings to analysts or contractor teams
Additional Responsibilities may include:
* Build relationships across different functions and the business to foster collaboration between partner groups
* Interact directly with customers to cultivate strong relationships while balancing risk and return
* Mentor and train rotational analysts and new hires
* Participate in internal initiatives to ensure the business is well-managed and operates efficiently
* Bachelor's Degree or Military Experience
* At least 5 years of experience in credit underwriting or at least 5 years of experience in portfolio management or at least 5 years of experience in asset management
* Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant fields
* 7+ years of experience in credit underwriting or portfolio or asset management
* Previous leadership (informal or formal) experience with deal teams or analysts
* Strong knowledge across all property types of commercial real estate and financing structures including, but not limited to, construction and bridge loan facilities.
* Strong knowledge of legal matters pertaining to commercial real estate.
* Proficient in MS Office or Google Suite
* Proficient using in cash flow modeling using Argus
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).