Program Manager, Media Automation Project
Department: Technology Business Operations
Corporate Area: Technology & Operations
Supervisor: VP, Technology Business Operations
PBS is a private, nonprofit corporation, founded in 1969, whose members are America's public TV stations - noncommercial, educational licensees that operate 350 PBS member stations.
PBS is looking for a well-rounded Program Manager to provide program leadership on a multi- year initiative. The purpose of the project is to transition PBS from legacy, broadcast-centric media tools to a modern, automated, multiplatform infrastructure capable of serving PBS's member stations and the American public. This candidate will engage stakeholders, including PBS staff, station representatives, and vendors to select and deploy the infrastructure and to engage the system on its use. This candidate will work integrate and prioritize multiple projects across the department to ensure success of this initiative. This individual will need to be able to apply an advanced knowledge of enterprise architecture and project/program management concepts, practices and procedures to ensure the success of the initiative.
The Program Manager position requires the candidate to be comfortable working under time pressures with a high degree of autonomy. This individual is someone who can manage priorities in an agile environment to deliver solutions that meet or exceed business expectations. With excellent communication skills, s/he helps the business adapt to agile principles and facilitates interactions between the business and Project Teams to define the strategy, business requirements, milestones, and other project-related activities.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
1. Project/Program Planning
- Works with the business to define the strategic vision and established the goals of the initiative.
- Works with business stakeholders and development team to prioritize efforts for programs so that the collective project is execute on time and on budget.
- Aligns projects to deliverables.
- Champions the gathering of information required for the level of effort analysis to estimate project/program cost, resources, time and deliverables.
- Organizes project kickoff and ongoing stakeholder meetings.
2. Infrastructure Selection and Deployment
- Provide support in business planning and strategy by leading team meeting and managing action items.
- Work with team to match customer needs, services and core missions with best-in-class solutions.
- Help facilitate the procurement of selected infrastructure.
- Help to define prioritization and sequencing of the transformation by proposing a strategic roadmap that leads to the target state.
- Work with teams to identify roadblocks and opportunities and ensure infrastructure plans can be implemented securely and reliably.
- Works with project lead and contract administrator to develop a cost baseline from cost estimations.
- Integrates cost baselines into overall program cost budget.
- Continuously monitors the actual cost of a project/program versus the budget.
- Identify factors that may potentially cause cost changes.
- Reviews cost estimates and reporting of Project Managers.
4. Project Resource Management
- Works with T&O leaders to effectively align resources across projects/programs.
- Provides input for resource decisions and feedback when requested.
- Organizes, guides and reviews the work efforts of Project Managers and Businesss Analysits working within their programs.
- Directs stakeholders, including vendor partners, on project delivery
5. Project Delivery and Risk Management
- Helps teams make well-informed decisions.
- Communicates regularly with teams to discuss progress and risks.
- Analyzes, prioritizes and manages risk; and assesses potential impact to the stakeholders.
- Understands and communicates the project/program's critical path.
- Manages project/program change management process.
- Conducts assessments with sponsors at the completion of the program and each related project to confirm acceptance and satisfaction.
6. Standards, Policies and Procedures
- Works with PMO to define and oversee the standards for projects, project management and program management.
- Develops and maintains the project management delivery tools.
- Reviews the contributions of others to project delivery tools, project management tools, and program management tools.
- Develops and implements action plans for continuous improvements.
- Reviews lessons learned to determine if changes to projects, and program standards and tools are necessary.
Requirements for success:
- BS in Information Systems, Business Administration, Computer Science, or a related field of study, or equivalent work experience.
- An MBA or M.S. in computer science preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of project/program management for large scale technology development and implementation projects.
- Knowledge and program/project management experience in an agile environment is required.
- Requires 3-5 years of demonstrated management/supervisory experience.
- Project Management certification or successful completion of a recognized project management curriculum is desired.
- Related industry certification desirable.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge and/or experience of agile project management techniques and/or agile approaches (e.g., XP, Kanban, Crystal, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite of Products.
- Experience with Atlassian Suite of Products (especially Confluence and JIRA)
- Strong ability to manage and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to function and to adapt to new goals, practices, etc. within a dynamic work environment
- Consistently demonstrates respect for inclusion, diversity, and ethics
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.