Armada will be offering a summer Supply Chain internship in various departments within our Operations group. The purpose of this internship is to allow the student to gain experience and assist in various supply chain management activities including Transportation Operations, Procurement, and Client Support.
RESPONSIBILITIES WITHIN EACH GROUP
- Assign and tender shipments to Armada's preferred carriers using transportation management system (TMS) to optimize service, capacity and cost. Coordinate dedicated and continuous move tenders as appropriate. Manually tender load(s) that have not been accepted through the TMS waterfall carrier selection by calling carriers to verbally secure capacity to cover the load(s) as required.
- Monitor shipments to ensure on-time pick up utilizing the TMS. Proactively follow up as required to insure desired service results are secured and issues are communicated to all parties.
- Coordinate first response activity to resolve pickup and in-transit issues. Escalate issues as required to the appropriate manager/Supply Chain Coordinator - Distribution.
- Assist carriers in resolving issues regarding loading, pickup appointments and communicate to appropriate parties as necessary.
- Coordinate any carrier or supplier date change requests.
- Support shipping/receiving locations with carrier issues, trailer pool coordination, rush shipment arrangements, and problem resolution as necessary. Escalate chronic issues to the appropriate manager for review.
- Load Note in TMS all supplier and carrier issues and correspondence to create a time line documenting what occurred on a load and what we did to resolve the issue - for future reference.
- Manage Mercuygate (TMS) advisors utilizing the regional shared Microsoft Outlook mailboxes and network e-mail communication through your personal Microsoft Outlook mailbox.
- Support coverage during the summer holidays, as needed.
- When applicable, Manually Enter Orders into the TMS using the order entry function.
- Manager the Pending Orders for your assigned region/suppliers and handle the carrier rate reviews, as needed.
- Analyze existing shipping processes for possible improvements and provide support for various implementation plans to effect ongoing productivity improvement. Also work to develop and manage supplier relationships.
- Analyze carrier routing guide and carrier capacity utilization to adjust system parameters to obtain maximum cost savings and service levels. Also work to develop and manage carrier relationships.
- Manage the Transportation Planning Tool (TPT) to Organize and consolidate LTL shipments into truckloads to facilitate improved transit times and customer service while reducing transportation expense as required.
- Coordinate return disposition of refused/returned goods as required.
- Maintain excellent communications and service with shipping locations and carriers. This communication will be through phone conversations as well as e-mail correspondence.
- Hand off any issues that require placement onto a Watch List.
- Manage the region's stakeholders and facilitate/direct resolution of issues by proactively auditing to confirm that requirements are being met.
- Take pro-active ownership of resolving potential or actual issues that may result in unacceptable customer service level for stakeholders.
- Directing sales order management for all stakeholders. This includes communicating new item requests, event and promotions planning, hub product returns, phase in/phase out items, slow moving inventory/short shelf life items, allocation management and product optimization.
- Identify out of stock situations and communicate in a timely manner to the stakeholders; this communication also includes an explanation of the stock out as well as available date for the product; this requires an assessment of the impact on the stakeholder and possible resolution.
- Coordinate with the appropriate external / internal stakeholder to successfully manage inventory processes.
- Interface with transportation personnel for procurement of trucks to support delivery requirements.
- Periodically check order status to ensure current orders are progressing as planned and new orders have been properly received.
- Managing first response activity to resolve service issues. Escalate issues as needed. Recommend solutions to avoid any potential out of stock situations.
- Manage items with special requirements for stakeholders.
- Document retrieval and preparation for domestic / international stakeholders.
- Manage business requirements during off hours, as needed.
- Provide position coverage for other SCC's during absences.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Proficient in all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and the Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Carrier performance and accountability - monitor carrier performance results and present improvement opportunities based on lane level analysis
- Assist with network analysis as it applies to upcoming network bid events (Back hauls and/or Armada network event preparation)
- Participate in the regular lane set up and maintenance activities (LXP App)
- Engage in cross functional collaboration with the Transportation Operations team and other departments as necessary to gain an understanding of the transactional level challenges impacting carrier performance
- Actively participate and support the Transportation Procurement projects and initiatives to drive associated results
Education and Experience Requirement
- Working towards a Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain, Information Systems, Communications and/or Business
- Customer Service or Transportation experience with one or more of the following modes: LTL, Intermodal, temp controlled, and dry truckload transportation preferred.
Language and Technical Skills requirement
- General understanding of business and transportation terms and concepts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel required; Access, TMS applications preferred
- Analytical and problem solving ability
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal & written) with internal/external clients
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is usually performed in an office environment with normal noise levels. Involves prolonged sitting, and computer/phone usage.
This job description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended, however, to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making decisions related to job performance, employee development and compensation. As such, the incumbent may perform other duties and responsibilities as required. Its contents imply no contractual obligation and may be changed by the company at any time.