POSITION SUMMARY: As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the Wellness Coordinator provides and supports others in providing normalized, empathic, therapeutic, and preventative health care to individuals with severe and persistent mental illness within a residential setting. The Wellness Coordinator administers medications and treatments, monitors each client's physical and psychological status; and facilitates medical follow up as needed. The Wellness Coordinator provides education related to each client's individualized health care needs and promotes client independence.
The Wellness Coordinator practices within the scope of Pennsylvania's Nurse Practice Act and in accordance with Elwyn's policies and procedures and those of Elwyn's regulatory agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- At the direction and under the direct supervision of the Psychiatric Nurse Manager and/or Psychiatrist, complete a comprehensive evaluation including but not limited to medical, behavioral history and medications upon admission/readmission and as changing health needs indicate
- Collaborate with physicians, physical rehabilitation professionals, therapists, health care and mental health professionals and other members of the Treatment Team to plan and implement the therapeutic program of care
- At the direction and under the direct supervision of the Psychiatric Nurse Manager and/or Psychiatrist, complete a Quarterly Medical evaluation that includes a review of systems, full body exam, skin checks, Braden Scale, and Fall Risk Assessment
- Present clinical data obtained through direct observation, interview, physical evaluation and other reports to the larger Treatment Team; present information in a concise and organized manner
- Attend and participate in team meetings by providing current client physical and psychiatrist and medication updates
- At the direction and under the direct supervision of the Psychiatric Nurse Manager and/or Psychiatrist, develop a health care plan for clients requiring 24/7 care that includes specific goals and directions for meeting the client's health care needs
- At the direction and under the direct supervision of the Psychiatric Nurse Manager and/or Psychiatrist, review and revise the health care plan at a minimum of every 30 days and incorporate data gathered through nursing evaluation and communication with the Treatment Team
- At the direction and under the direct supervision of the Psychiatric Nurse Manager and/or Psychiatrist, refer clients to external physicians when evaluation indicates further medical evaluation is required; facilitate transfer to the hospital/Emergency Department
- Complete hospital and Emergency Department transfer sheets; copy and forward the annual physical exam, last set of 90 Day Physician Orders, current Medication Administration Record (MARs), and other pertinent information
- Monitor weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, metabolic monitoring, body mass index (BMI) and other measurements as indicated by nursing judgement or physician orders
- Prepare and administer medication as ordered by the physician in accordance with Elwyn's medication policies and procedures; obtain verbal orders from the physician when necessary and transcribe the information as per policy
- Administer and document prescribed medications and treatments on hard copy MARs or in an electronic format (eMARs); use discretion during administration of medication(s) to provide as much client privacy as possible
- Administer enteral tube feedings, blood glucose testing, nebulizer treatments, and skin care as ordered by the physician; use discretion during administration to provide as much client privacy as possible
- Report any observed medication and treatment side effects or abnormal laboratory values to the Psychiatric Nurse Manager or /Charge Nurse (after hours) immediately
- Monitor and contribute regularly to maintaining a safe and therapeutic living environment as the key healthcare representative of the interdisciplinary team including but not limited to, monitoring for potential threats to health and safety and taking appropriate action to eliminate such threats when discovered
- Facilitate communication and collaboration with community-based social service agencies, healthcare providers, insurance providers, county and state offices of behavioral health, families, and other stakeholders in order to ensure quality care for the individuals served
- Assure adherence to all established Natale Programs healthcare and safety policies, procedures, protocols, and regulations as they apply to the individuals being served
- Provide information dissemination and psychoeducation training for residents and/or staff as needed to improve understanding of particular healthcare conditions
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, crisis intervention, and medication administration using agency protocols as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Psychiatric Nurse Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: None
CONTACTS: Elwyn staff, health insurance agencies; community agencies; residents' families; physicians; and other members of medical community
- Licensed to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Clinical experience in a behavioral health setting preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple, often competing, priorities
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated excellent judgment with the ability to independently solve problems and make decisions with little or no need for direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate future needed changes or identify problem areas and take effective actions
- Must be able to perform CPR, first aid, crisis intervention and medication administration using agency protocols
- Must possess excellent customer interaction, collaboration, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Record (EHR) / Electronic Medical Record (EMR) preferred
- Demonstrated intermediate experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, and Outlook
- Must have current, valid driver's license in state of residence, three (3) years driving experience in the United States, and acceptable driving record
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFILE: See Physical Demands Checklist below which represents the general physical demands and environment conditions to which the employee holding this position must meet, in addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Elwyn will engage otherwise qualified candidates for this position whose disabilities may require reasonable accommodations to enable an individual to perform the essential functions.
Elwyn reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive statement of duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Elwyn does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, pregnancy status, medical condition, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, sexual orientation or identity, age, national origin, citizenship, handicap status, marital or family status, mental or physical disability, perceived disability, military or veteran status, political activities or affiliations, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation.
*Mon #CB #zr
keywords: melmark, blossom, devereaux, bancroft, merakey, direct support, direct care, DSP, direct care, HHA, certified nursing assistant, CNA, fair acres, behavioral health, mental health, nursing home, hospital, jefferson, aria, einstein, abington, temple, frankford, hup, hospital of university of pennsylvania, hahnemann, waitress, hotels, restaurants, airlines, Marriott, unemployed, careerlink, airlines
keywords: melmark, blossom, devereux, bancroft, merakey, direct support, direct care, DSP, direct care, HHA, certified nursing assistant, CNA, fair acres, behavioral health, mental health, nursing home, hospital, jefferson, aria, einstein, abington, temple, frankford, hup, hospital of university of pennsylvania, hahnemann, waitress, hotels, restaurants, airlines, Marriott, caregiver , aide, babysitter, orderly, attendant, health care, healthcare, seniors, direct support professional, home health aide, food server, cook, jaintor, waiter, bus boy, kencrest, cades,community options, keystone, caregiver, McDonalds, Burger King, Chick-Fil-A, Red Lobster, Wawa, Wendy's, Sonic, Uber, Lyft, Pizza Hut, Dominos, airlines, Direct Support Professional, DSP, Residential Counselor, RC, Residential Aide, Aide, Direct, Support, Residential, IDD, Intellectual Disability, Mental Health, MH, 1:1, home health, social services assistant, health care, counselor, human services, assistant, caregiver, social services assistant, caregiver, supermarkets, Aldi, ShopRite, Fresh Grocer, Giant, Save-A-Lot, Acme, BJs, Malls, Life Path, Growth Horizons, Shared Values, Community Options Inc., Volunteers of America of Pennsylvania, Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health, Casmir Cares Services, Umbrella Functional Consulting & Support Team, Help at Home, Resources For Human Development, Inc.