This is a high school teaching position in Digital Media which is a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program. The Digital Media program is a series of prescribed courses for grades 10-12 that provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the fast paced and demanding communications industry. Digital Media delivers industry-based instruction that develops student competencies leading to postsecondary education and employment utilizing the latest software applications and industry standard equipment to create dynamic visual presentations. Students may be eligible to obtain certifications and internships in many of the areas of Digital Media.
CTE teachers are responsible to:
1. Provide rigorous and relevant instruction on pre-approved hands-on curriculum in the content area and general work-place readiness.
2. Integrate soft-skill instruction into competency-based content area activities.
3. Support students in industry relevant competitions, industry exploration activities, professional organizations and postsecondary initiatives.
4. Show evidence of project-based learning (e.g., competitions, capstone events, etc.)
5. Collaborate with core content teachers on common course planning, integration and alignment.
6. Collaborate with school-based staff (college and career coach, counselor, etc.) and CTE Partnership Development Liaisons and Program Coordinators to identify and recommend work-ready students.
7. Attend all relevant professional development set by the Department of College and Career Preparation in order to provide the best educational experience possible for students. Examples include:
a. Quarterly industry-focused PD sessions.
b. Industry advisory council meetings.
c. Instructional PD sessions.
d. Summer Institute sessions.
e. New teacher supports (e.g., New Teacher Center PD, CTE teacher coaching)
8. Maintain and update industry certifications as required by Illinois State Board of Education and Chicago Public Schools.
9. Attend CPS CTE professional development sessions if working under an Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) Educator License with Stipulations/Career and Technical Education (ELS/CTE) or a newly hired teacher.
Eligible to receive an ISBE Professional Education License (PEL) in Technology Education with coursework in Digital Media, or
Eligible to receive an ISBE Educator License with Stipulations (ELS(CTE)) in Digital Media (certificate must be in place prior to teaching)
Minimum Associate's Degree in Communications or Multi-Media from an accredited college or university
Adobe Creative Suite Certification or must be obtained within 12 months from hire date
Minimum 4,000 hours (2 years full-time) of industry experience in screen printing, heat printing and digital printing
Bachelors Degree in Media/Communication or other Media Related Field
Mastery of Adobe Creative Suites
Print and Web Design
Proficient in Mac and PC
Prior teaching experience
Excellent planning, organization, written and verbal communication skills
High-level problem solving skills
Computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
Team and detail oriented
Professional Development: CTE Summer Institute
Program: ALL CTE teachers
Timeframe: August 23 and 24, 2018
Location: Chicago Vocational Career Academy, 2100 E 87th St, Chicago, IL 60617, USA