Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission ofRecovering Hearts & Saving Lives. With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, and offices in Baltimore, MD, Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed's 1,700 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The Global Automation Engineering group showcases talented professionals, world-class technologies and innovative solutions that "power" the process control and quality of Abiomed's unique Impella heart pumps. The Sr. Principal Automation Design Engineer I provides engineering and technical resource expertise in order to maximize the Global Automation Engineering group's contribution to company performance.
The Sr. Principal Automation Design Engineer I in the Global Automation Engineering group serves as one of the leaders of the technical community, working effectively and collaboratively with all technical disciplines and functions, both internally and externally. The Sr. Principal Automation Design Engineer I delivers new manufacturing technologies and processes, making dramatic quality and operational improvements to existing and new products. This role is responsible to design, build and implement the most cost-effective manufacturing equipment and processes, as well as improve existing processes and transformations to meet the needs of a very dynamic and technically challenging business.
Abiomed (NASDAQ: ABMD) is a leading provider of groundbreaking medical technology that provides circulatory and oxygenation support. The Impella heart pump platform is designed to enable the heart to rest and recover by improving blood flow and/or temporarily assisting with the pumping function of the heart. The Abiomed Breethe OXY-1 System is designed to provide oxygenation while supporting patient mobility. Abiomed is based in Danver, Massachusetts. The Danvers site is a global business HQ and product development site with all commercial and business functions co-located with all technical disciplines. This offers a broad range of career and experience building opportunities.
- The successful candidate will primarily focus on the design, development, specification, implementation and rampup of automated equipment for tight tolerance discrete component assembly and packaging processes.
- Continuous improvement efforts, obsolescence programs, technology transfers and new product development will also be required in support of business objectives.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 15+ years of hands on machine design experience including clean sheet design, design and implementation of continuous improvement for discrete component assembly equipment.
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering is a plus.
- In depth and prolonged experience in the designing, specifying, selecting, manufacturing acceptance, installation, startup, commission, and validation of fully automated and advanced discrete component assembly and / or packaging technologies is sought.
- Technical mastery in mechanical engineering, namely assembly technologies and packaging is preferred.
- Technical mastery in the following areas is sought:
- Hands-on mechanical aptitude and Machine Design including: pneumatics, linkage design, mechatronics, robotics, cam and linkage design and drive systems
- Process Technologies: ultrasonic welding, heat staking, hot stamping, laser welding, laser decoration and water tightness testing
- In depth component manufacturing knowledge and experience including: stamping / forming and molding
- Trouble shooting, cost effective efficiency improvements, scrap reduction of existing designs and manufacturing transformations, baselining and platforming
- Ability to critically review engineering designs and ensure adherence to company design and development guidelines and SOPs.
- Possessing a solid understanding and demonstrated ability of implementing machine and process safety considerations is a strong plus. Knowledge of CE, UL, SCCR & NFPA-70E&79 regulations a plus.
- Proficiency using Solid Works, AutoCAD, Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, etc.
- Decision Making - has a systematic and methodical approach to making decisions, obtains relevant information, thinks beyond the immediate decision point, challenges assumptions and considers business implications of potential solutions.
- Communication Skills - Conveys information effectively, actively listens, resolves conflict constructively.
- Work Organization - Highly organized and diligent in planning and delivery of work items.
- Structured Problem Solving - Uses a systematic, methodical approach to gather facts, define problems, generate, and implement solutions.
- Planning Skills - Sets goals and priorities, thinks ahead, and identifies activities and resources needed to achieve goals.
- Working Independently - Capable of working with minimal supervision while creating and providing solutions to barriers, problems, and challenges with internal departments, contract manufacturers, or external suppliers.
- Conflict Management - Needs to be able to effectively deal with conflict, openly communicate, and lead to successful problem resolution.
- Problem Solving - Capable of responding to barriers, problems, and challenges with internal manufacturing or external equipment suppliers. Needs to be able to effectively deal with conflict and openly communicate and lead team members to successful resolution.
- Ability to build the capability of others to assure successful project execution. Engages and energizes others to reach their fullest potential and performance.
- The successful candidate will be expected to travel domestically and internationally. Length of travel will depend on the initiative being implemented and phase of the project. Anticipated travel is estimated at 10-25%.
Applicants must provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with an FDA approved or authorized vaccine for COVID-19 or have a valid medical/religious exemption
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.