|Role and Responsibilities
The Environmental Technician Level I is an entry level position in our Chemical Operations department. The main responsibility of the Level I technician the operation of our continuous flow wastewater treatment system. The following is a breakdown of the roles and additional responsibilities:
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Monitor the flow of process water from production areas to the waste treatment area
- Handle, store and dispose of hazardous materials following all safety and environmental regulations and company standards.
- Transport hazardous materials to proper storage area.
- Prepare process tanks for further use following detailed chemical makeup instructions.
- Operate and control a waste treatment unit and a series of batch treatment tanks to effect specific chemical changes in basic substances to produce desired results.
- Measure and charge materials in equipment and transfer same in accordance with processing sequences.
- Observe instruments and gauges, obtain samples for laboratory tests
- Works with chemical laboratory and production departments to ensure waste water treatment numbers are in compliance
- Makes additions to chemical process tanks
- Clean, organize and manage chemical storage under the supervision of Director of Chemical and Environmental Operations
- Other duties as assigned
A successful candidate should have a A.S in Chemistry or chemistry related field and/or Environmental Sciences or Engineering background. The candidate must be a team oriented person with good communication skills. A successful candidate must be able to excel at the following:
- Previous experience in waste treatment and/or a Certificate as a Waste Site Worker
- Show high level of job related knowledge
- Show a high level of quality of work
- Follows set attendance/punctuality policies
- Shows good communication and listening skills
- Is dependable
- Strong Chemistry background
- Strong Mathematic background
- Good Organizational skills
- Electroplating/Metal Finishing experience
- ISO quality mgmt systems experience
- Forklift license a plus
- The ability to lift 50 pounds
- The ability to operate a forklift and stacker.
The work environment is a fast paced, manufacturing job-shop. A variety of chemical baths are used on manufacturing floor on a daily basis and proper care and focus must be taken to ensure safety. Communication and teamwork are highly valued within the company as well as the push for continual improvement.